1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Indefinite Integral with integration by parts

1. May 16, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Evaluate ∫ecos2θ dθ

2. Relevant equations
    Integration by parts formula
    ∫udv = uv -∫vdu

3. The attempt at a solution
    So in calc II we just started integration by parts and I'm doing one of the assignment problems. I know I need to do the integration by parts twice, but I've hit a loop, or so it seems, which I know isn't right. Maybe someone can see my faults?

I set:
    u = cos(2θ) v = -e
    du = -2sin(2θ) dθ dv = e

So by the formula I got:
    = [cos(2θ)] [-e] -2∫ [-e] [sin(2θ) dθ]

Here I used the second integration by parts:

u = sin2θ v = e
    du = 2cos(2θ) dθ dv = -e

Solving by the formula again:
    = [sin(2θ)] [e] -2∫ [e] [cos(2θ) dθ]

I'm not too sure where I've made my algebraic error, or if I'm on the right track and this won't just put my into a loop giving the same equation above? First question I've posted, so hopefully it follows the format ok, if it doesn't, chime in and let me know so I can fix it properly. Thanks in advance everyone!

2. jcsd
  3. May 16, 2015 #2

phion

Gold Member

Your substitutions are correct, but you're stopping a little short. The trick with integration by parts composed of an exponential function and a trigonometric function is to add to both sides the first integral you find that is a multiple of your original integral. From there, it should be obvious where to go next.

4. May 16, 2015 #3
    Ohh, hat's definitely what I'm missing! Thanks a bunch for the help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted