1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof of lim(1/x) x->0 by negating epsilon delta definition of limit

1. Oct 6, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I want to show that [itex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0}\frac{1}{x}[/itex] does not exist by negating epsilon-delta definition of limit.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    We say limit exists when:
    [itex]\forall \epsilon > 0, \exists \delta > 0 : \forall x(0< \left| x\right| < \delta \Rightarrow \left| \frac{1}{x} - L \right| < \epsilon) [/itex]
    And limit does not exist corresponds to:
    [itex]\exists \epsilon > 0, \forall \delta > 0 : \exists x(0< \left| x\right| < \delta \wedge \left| \frac{1}{x} - L \right| > \epsilon) [/itex] (for any L ?)

We look for an \epsilon such that

[itex]\left| \frac{1}{x} - L \right| > \epsilon [/itex]

then using triangle inequality,

[itex]\left| \frac{1}{x}\right| + \left| L \right| ≥ \left| \frac{1}{x} - L \right| > \epsilon [/itex]

therefore

[itex]\left| \frac{1}{x}\right| + \left| L \right| > \epsilon [/itex]

and

[itex]| \frac{1}{x}| > \epsilon - \left| L \right| [/itex]

for [itex] \epsilon > |L|[/itex], ( the other possibility gives no info since |x| > 0 already)

[itex]|x| < \frac{1}{\epsilon - |L|}[/itex]

we also had

[itex]0<|x|<\delta[/itex]

hence,

[itex]|x| < min( \delta , \frac{1}{\epsilon - |L|} )[/itex]

we found such x satisfies the above condition, for some epsilon and L.

Is that approach correct?? Especially, I am not really sure about the negation of the definition...

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2012 #2

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Ah now you have to make some alterations to the definition for it to work properly. You have a limit involving an infinite quantity which requires a change in your definition to be :

[itex]\forall ε>0, \exists δ>0 | 0<|x-a|<δ \Rightarrow f(x)>ε[/itex]

So for f(x) = 1/x, you desire a δ which ensures that f will be bigger than epsilon no matter what. You can start finding this delta by massaging the expression f(x) > ε to suit your needs.

4. Oct 6, 2012 #3
    alright,

for limits not dealing with infinity, is my negation correct??

5. Oct 6, 2012 #4

Zondrina

Homework Helper

I'm not sure why you would want to negate the statement because |f(x)-L| which translates into |f(x)-∞| is for lack of better term, a garbage statement.

That's why I suggested using the modified form of the definition so it at least makes sense.

To answer your question though, I don't see a problem with your negation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook