1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof of Linearly independence

1. Sep 21, 2012 #1
    The problem is attached. I just wanted to see if the way I proved my statement is correct.

My answer: No, because there exists more columns than rows, thus at least one free variable always exists, thus these vectors are linearly dependent.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You are right but, personally, I wouldn't phrase it in terms of "columns" and "rows" since nothing is said of matrices in the problem. Rather, I would not that Rm has dimension m so there is a basis containing m vectors. Every one of the n vectors in the set can be written in terms of the the m vectors in the basis so they cannot be independent.

(A basis for an m-dimensional vector space has three properties:
    1) they span the space
    2) they are independent
    3) there are m vectors in the set
    Any set containing fewer than m vectors cannot span the space, any set with more than m vectors cannot be independent.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook