A quite verbal proof that if V is finite dimensional then S is also...

Homework Statement:
If a linear space V is finite dimensional then S, a subspace of V, is also finite-dimensional and dim S is less than or equal to dim V.
Relevant Equations:
Let A = {u_1, u_2, ... u_n} be a basis for V.
If a linear space ##V## is finite dimensional then ##S##, a subspace of ##V##, is also finite-dimensional and ##dim ~S \leq dim~V##.

Proof: Let's assume that ##A = \{u_1, u_2, \cdots u_n\}## be a basis for ##V##. Well, then any element ##x## of ##V## can be represented as
$$
x = \sum_{i=1}^{n} c_i u_i
$$
As ## S \subset V## therefore, all the elements of ##S## can also be represented by linear combinations of ##u_i##s. As, ##u_i## s are finite, this implies that ##S## is finite dimensional.

Let's say ##dim~S \gt dim~V##. Then, a basis for ##S## would look like
$$
A' = \{ v_1, v_2, \cdots v_m\}
$$
where ##m \gt n##. But that would imply that ##A'## is independent thus contradicting that "any set of (n+1) elements in V would be dependent if ##L(A) = V## and number of elements in A is n". Hence, ##dim ~S \leq dim~V##.

Thats ends my proof.

It seems to me that my proof of the first part is quite verbal and needs to be a little more rigorous but the question is: Was the reasoning correct? And how to make it rigorous?

Answers and Replies

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2021 Award
Homework Statement:: If a linear space V is finite dimensional then S, a subspace of V, is also finite-dimensional and dim S is less than or equal to dim V.
Relevant Equations:: Let A = {u_1, u_2, ... u_n} be a basis for V.

If a linear space ##V## is finite dimensional then ##S##, a subspace of ##V##, is also finite-dimensional and ##dim ~S \leq dim~V##.

Proof: Let's assume that ##A = \{u_1, u_2, \cdots u_n\}## be a basis for ##V##. Well, then any element ##x## of ##V## can be represented as
$$
x = \sum_{i=1}^{n} c_i u_i
$$
As ## S \subset V## therefore, all the elements of ##S## can also be represented by linear combinations of ##u_i##s. As, ##u_i## s are finite, this implies that ##S## is finite dimensional.
I agree with this, but why does this imply ##S## is finite dimensional? What's the definition of finite dimensional?

Let's say ##dim~S \gt dim~V##. Then, a basis for ##S## would look like
$$
A' = \{ v_1, v_2, \cdots v_m\}
$$
where ##m \gt n##. But that would imply that ##A'## is independent thus contradicting that "any set of (n+1) elements in V would be dependent if ##L(A) = V## and number of elements in A is n". Hence, ##dim ~S \leq dim~V##.

This is okay, but how do you know that "independent in ##S##" implies "independent in ##V##".

In fact, if you show this statement, then the result follows immediately. And, you'll have a very short proof.

I agree with this, but why does this imply S is finite dimensional?
Because it can be spanned by a a finite set which is independent. But, yes, the problem is those ##u_i## s' linear combinations surpass S.
What's the definition of finite dimensional?
Having a basis set which is finite (have finite number of elements). Or to put it more elaborately: if there exists a finite set which is indpendent and spans S, then S is said to be finite dimensional.

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2021 Award
Because it can be spanned by a a finite set which is independent. But, yes, the problem is those ##u_i## s' linear combinations surpass S.
Okay, but one problem is that the vectors in the basis for ##V## may not be in the subspace ##S## at all. Maybe starting with a basis for ##V## is not the right approach?

This is okay, but how do you know that "independent in S" implies "independent in V".
Yes, the implication will not be true always.

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2021 Award
Yes, the implication will not be true always.
It is true. That is the heart of the proof.

It is true. That is the heart of the proof.
Well, I mean a set is independent completely on its own accord, no matter whose subset it is. If a set is independent, then none of its elements can be represented as linear combination of its other elements.

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2021 Award
Well, I mean a set is independent completely on its own accord, no matter whose subset it is. If a set is independent, then none of its elements can be represented as linear combination of its other elements.
Exactly, a linearly independent set in ##S## cannot be linearly dependent in ##V##. Can you construct a short proof from that?

Exactly, a linearly independent set in ##S## cannot be linearly dependent in ##V##. Can you construct a short proof from that?
Take an independent set in S that spans S, then this indpendent set would be a subset of basis for V. Hence, the basis of V is larger than that of S.

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2021 Award
Take an independent set in S that spans S, then this indpendent set would be a subset of basis for V. Hence, the basis of V is larger than that of S.
That feels a bit loose to me. It's not wrong, but let me show you the alternative:

Suppose the dimension of ##V## is ##n##. We cannot find more than ##n## linearly independent vectors in ##V##. Now, any linearly independent set in ##S## is linearly independent in ##V##. Therefore, we cannot find more than ##n## linearly independent vectors in ##S##. Hence, ##S## is finite dimensional and ##dim \ S \le n##.

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2021 Award
Alternatively, you could do it by contradiction:

If we have a set of ##n + 1## linearly independent vectors in ##S##, then we have a set of ##n + 1## linearly independent vectors in ##V##. Which contradicts ##dim \ V = n##.

Therefore, ##S## is finite dimensional and ##dim \ S \le dim \ V##.

That feels a bit loose to me. It's not wrong, but let me show you the alternative:

Suppose the dimension of ##V## is ##n##. We cannot find more than ##n## linearly independent vectors in ##V##. Now, any linearly independent set in ##S## is linearly independent in ##V##. Therefore, we cannot find more than ##n## linearly independent vectors in ##S##. Hence, ##S## is finite dimensional and ##dim \ S \le n##.
That compelled me to yell out "That's elegant".

@PeroK Can you please do something for the first part of question?

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2021 Award
@PeroK Can you please do something for the first part of question?
What first part?

What first part?
Proving that S is finite-dimensional.

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2021 Award
Proving that S is finite-dimensional.
We already have. I made no assumption that S was finite dimensional. I simply looked for ##n + 1## independent vectors in ##S##. I avoided the potential tangle created by looking for a basis for ##S## or a set that spans ##S##. That was part of the elegant simplicity!

Therefore, we cannot find more than n linearly independent vectors in S. Hence, S is finite dimensional and dim S≤n.
Yes, we cannot find more than n indpendent vectors in S, but how do we ensure that a set of independent vectors in S would span S? We can find indpendent vectors but assuming that they would span S is assuming that S is finite-dimensional.

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2021 Award
Yes, we cannot find more than n indpendent vectors in S, but how do we ensure that a set of independent vectors in S would span S? We can find indpendent vectors but assuming that they would span S is assuming that S is finite-dimensional.
If you really wanted to, you could:

Assume ##S## is infinite dimensional. Therefore, we can find ##n + 1## linearly independent vectors in ##S##. Contradiction. Therefore, ##S## is finite dimensional.

But, it's not necessary to do that as a separate step.

The second point is really asking how we know that ##dim \ S## is well-defined? Perhaps ##S## doesn't have a basis? That's not something we need to prove here.

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2021 Award
Although, if you want a bit more practice, you could prove this:

Let ##V## be a finite-dimensional vector space and ##S## a subspace of ##V##. Prove that ##S## has a basis.

V be a finite-dimensional vector space and S a subspace of V. Prove that S has a basis
Suppose ##S## doesn't have a basis, that implies that there doesn't exist any independent set in ##S## that spans it. However, any independent set in ##S## is also indpendent in ##V## and therefore, forms a subset of a basis of ##V##. Now, this subset of a basis must span a part of ##V##, that is the span of indpendent elements of ##S## forms a subspace of ##V##.

Take any independent set A (number of elements in A being less than or equal to n) in S, then ##L(A) \subset S##. As no indpendent set in S can span S, ...

I have to think harder for that.

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2021 Award
Suppose ##S## doesn't have a basis, that implies that there doesn't exist any independent set in ##S## that spans it. However, any independent set in ##S## is also indpendent in ##V## and therefore, forms a subset of a basis of ##V##. Now, this subset of a basis must span a part of ##V##, that is the span of indpendent elements of ##S## forms a subspace of ##V##.

Take any independent set A (number of elements in A being less than or equal to n) in S, then ##L(A) \subset S##. As no indpendent set in S can span S, ...

I have to think harder for that.
I wouldn't worry about it for this problem.

I wouldn't worry about it for this problem.
But it's a good and brain-demanding exercise. Should I create a new thread? I have no problem in continuing within this one.

Let's start with this one: How a subspace would look like if it doesn't have a basis?

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2021 Award
But it's a good and brain-demanding exercise. Should I create a new thread? I have no problem in continuing within this one.

Let's start with this one: How a subspace would look like if it doesn't have a basis?
It's more or less the same argument. You pick ##u_1 \in S##. If ##span \{u_1 \} = S## we are done. If not, we pick ##u_2 \in S - span \{u_1 \}## and ##u_3 \in S - span \{u_1, u_2 \}## etc.

This generates a set of at most ##n## linearly independent vectors that must span ##S##. I.e. we must be able to generate a finite basis for ##S##.

generates a set of at most n linearly independent vectors that must span S. I.e. we must be able to generate a finite basis for
I was thinking in the same line, coz if any set of those n indpendent elements doesn't span S then S won't be a subspace (however, I myself have some doubt regarding "then S won't be a subspace".)

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2021 Award
I was thinking in the same line, coz if any set of those n indpendent elements doesn't span S then S won't be a subspace (however, I myself have some doubt regarding "then S won't be a subspace".)
##S## being a subspace means that for any set of vectors ##u_i \in S##, we have ##span \{u_i \} \subseteq S##. That follows directly from the closure of addition and scalar multiplication on ##S##.