Proof of the product of two odd integers

In summary, the conversation is about a person who is reading a book on upper level mathematics and is seeking feedback on their proof for a problem in the book. The problem states that the product of two odd integers is odd, and the person provides a proof using substitution and the definition of odd numbers. Another person points out a typo and suggests using different variables for clarity.
acddklr06
Hi Everyone!
I decided recently to start reading a book that acts as a transition to upper level mathematics. The last section of the chapter introduces you to the different proof techniques and mathematical facts to produce mathematical proofs. I think I understand everything, but I wanted to make sure by sharing my proof for a problem in the book. If anybody can chime in about if it is right or the like, please do so.

Homework Statement

The product of two odd integers is odd.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

Let m and n be two odd integers. We will prove that if m and n are odd integers, then the product of m and n is odd. Since m and n are odd, there exists two integers, i and j, that are an element of Z such that m=2i+1 and n=2j+1. Substituting (2i+1) and (2j+1) into m*n, we produce (2i+1)(2j+1) =>4ij+2j+2i+1 => 2(2ij+j+i)+1, where (2ij+j+1) is an integer. Since (2ij+j+1) is an integer, there exists an integer k that is an element of Z such that (2ij+j+1)=k. By substituting k for (2ij+j+1), we produce 2k+1, which is the definition of an odd number. Therefore, the product of two odd integers is odd.

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks fine to me. Though at some point you started substituting (2ij+j+1) for (2ij+j+i). I'm assuming that's just a typo.

Thank you for the quick response! It was definitely a typo. I just noticed it after reading your response.

Also, don't use "implies" - ==> in place of "equals." Implication is used between two statements such that the first being true means that the one following will be true as well.
Equality is used to indicate that two expressions have the same value.
m*n = (2i + 1)(2j + 1) = 4ij + 2i + 2j + 1 = 2(2ij + i + j) + 1

The one suggestion I may have, which is purely stylistic and largely unmathematical, is that you reserve i and j for dealings with complex numbers. In this case I would've used p and q, so that m = 2p + 1 and n = 2q + 1. The reason I say that my suggestion is unmathematical is because once you define something to be something, it doesn't matter what readers may connote with it.

1. What is "Proof of the product of two odd integers"?

"Proof of the product of two odd integers" is a mathematical concept that states that the product of any two odd integers will always result in another odd integer.

2. Why is this proof important?

This proof is important because it helps to understand the behavior of odd integers and their products. It also serves as a basis for more complex mathematical concepts.

3. How is this proof derived?

This proof is derived using the fundamental properties of odd integers and basic algebraic manipulations. It is a simple and straightforward proof that can be easily understood by anyone with a basic understanding of algebra.

4. Can this proof be generalized to more than two odd integers?

Yes, this proof can be generalized to any number of odd integers. The product of any number of odd integers will always result in an odd integer.

5. What are some real-life applications of this proof?

This proof has many real-life applications, including in cryptography, where it is used to generate secure encryption keys. It is also used in various engineering and scientific fields that involve odd numbers and their products.