Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Proof regarding composition of velocities

1. Jun 30, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

This is a problem from D'Inverno's "Introducing Einstein's Relativity".

If vAB is the velocity of B with respect to A, vBC is the velocity of C with respect to B, and vAC is the velocity of C with respect to A (all velocities are in relativistic units, that is, c=1), prove that if 0<vAB<1 and 0<vBC<1, then vAC<1.

2. Relevant equations

The problem should be resolvable with just the equation

vAC=(vAB+vBC)/(1+vABvBC).

3. The attempt at a solution

I understand that there are other ways to prove this, but I want to know this particular approach. I suspect it boils down to showing that the numerator is less than the denominator. I have tried reducing the denominator and/or increasing the numerator to find a greater expression that is less than one, but so far nothing has worked. I know this is really just a mathematical proof and has little to do with conceptual relativity, but I'd still like the solution.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 1, 2010 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You want to show (a+b)/(1+ab)<1 if 0<a<1 and 0<b<1, right? Write it as a*(1-b)+1*b<1. a*(1-b)+1*b is a linear function of b as b goes from 0 to 1, right also? It's a weighted average of a and 1. So it must hit it's max and min at b=0 or b=1.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
  4. Jul 3, 2010 #3
    I'm sorry, I don't really understand how those two (the original expression and the linear function) are equivalent. Could you explain a little more deeply?

5. Jul 3, 2010 #4
    Since a<1, b<1, we can rewrite them as: a=1-x, b=1-y, where x>0, y>0. This will make it a lot easier :smile:

6. Jul 3, 2010 #5
    Ok, that works. Thanks a lot!

7. Jul 3, 2010 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

(a+b)/(1+ab)<1. Multiply both sides by (1+ab). (a+b)<1+ab. Subtract ab from both sides. a+b-ab<1. Collect terms and factor. (a-ab)+b<1, a*(1-b)+1*b<1.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook