1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof regarding composition of velocities

1. Jun 30, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

This is a problem from D'Inverno's "Introducing Einstein's Relativity".

If vAB is the velocity of B with respect to A, vBC is the velocity of C with respect to B, and vAC is the velocity of C with respect to A (all velocities are in relativistic units, that is, c=1), prove that if 0<vAB<1 and 0<vBC<1, then vAC<1.

2. Relevant equations

The problem should be resolvable with just the equation

vAC=(vAB+vBC)/(1+vABvBC).

3. The attempt at a solution

I understand that there are other ways to prove this, but I want to know this particular approach. I suspect it boils down to showing that the numerator is less than the denominator. I have tried reducing the denominator and/or increasing the numerator to find a greater expression that is less than one, but so far nothing has worked. I know this is really just a mathematical proof and has little to do with conceptual relativity, but I'd still like the solution.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 1, 2010 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You want to show (a+b)/(1+ab)<1 if 0<a<1 and 0<b<1, right? Write it as a*(1-b)+1*b<1. a*(1-b)+1*b is a linear function of b as b goes from 0 to 1, right also? It's a weighted average of a and 1. So it must hit it's max and min at b=0 or b=1.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
  4. Jul 3, 2010 #3
    I'm sorry, I don't really understand how those two (the original expression and the linear function) are equivalent. Could you explain a little more deeply?

5. Jul 3, 2010 #4
    Since a<1, b<1, we can rewrite them as: a=1-x, b=1-y, where x>0, y>0. This will make it a lot easier :smile:

6. Jul 3, 2010 #5
    Ok, that works. Thanks a lot!

7. Jul 3, 2010 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

(a+b)/(1+ab)<1. Multiply both sides by (1+ab). (a+b)<1+ab. Subtract ab from both sides. a+b-ab<1. Collect terms and factor. (a-ab)+b<1, a*(1-b)+1*b<1.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook