Proof that a certain semigroup is also a group

In summary, Homework Equations is a semigroup with the following two cancellation laws: a*x=a*y and x*a=y*a. For all a,x,y in the semigroup, a*x=a*y implies x=y and x*a=y*a implies that x=y. The function lambda is a 1-1 map which assigns a to every a in the semigroup. Thus, there is an element ea for each a in the semigroup which satisfies lambda a(ea)=a.
dndod1

Homework Statement

Let S be a finite multiplicative semigroup in which these 2 cancellation laws hold. For all a,x,y [tex]\in[/tex] S, a*x=a*y implies x=y and for all a,x,y, [tex]\in[/tex] S x*a=y*a implies that x=y.
Show that (S, *) is a group.

For given a [tex]\in[/tex] S, let [tex]\lambda[/tex] a: S [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] S, s [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] a*s (This should just be a single arrow, can't get it to work!)
a) Show that [tex]\lambda[/tex] a is 1-1 using the cancellation laws. Deduce that it is also onto. Thus show that there is an element ea=a

b) Show that ea * ea= ea by using a*ea= a twice, associativity and then right cancellation.

c) Show that ea acts as an identity, using these solutions for any b[tex]\in[/tex]S.
ea*b =y
ea * (ea *b) = ea
(ea*ea) * b = ea *y
b=y

and
b*ea=y
(b*ea)*ea= y*ea
b* (ea*ea) =y*ea
b=y

d) Now show that any b[tex]\in[/tex]S has a right inverse using the onto property of the function [tex]\lambda[/tex] a. This element, call it br ^-1, itself has a right inverse using the same logic. Call it c. By examining the product of b*br ^-1*c in two ways, show that b=c.

e) Hence obtain that the right inverse br ^-1 is an inverse of b.

f) Conclude logically that (S, *) is a group.

Homework Equations

The Group axioms.
G1 Associativity
G2 Identity element e*g=g*e= g
G3 inverse for each element g^-1*g=e

The Attempt at a Solution

I haven't really got any idea how to start. I only did this before I got stuck:

Outlined the group axioms as above and stated that:
As (S, *) is defined as a semigroup, * is associative, therefore G1 has been satisfied.

a) did not know where to begin as did not know how to go about showing 1-1 and onto.

b) Show (ea*ea) =ea) given a*ea) =a
I don't know whether to work with just the LHS or the whole thing and do the same operation to both sides. I have tried the latter.
a *ea*ea = a*ea
(a*ea)*ea) =a*ea
a* ea=a
a=a ??

I am very, very lost! Please help if you can.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, how to show the map in a) is 1-1:

Suppose there are two elements s and r such that a*s=a*r. If you can show that s=r then you've proven it's 1-1. You should be able to see how to use the cancellation law to prove that s=r

Thanks very much for getting me started. I have shown that the function is 1-1 and that it is onto. I still do not know how to tackle the last part of question a), as I am confused by the lambda notation.

Thus show that there is an element ea for each a, such that lambda a(ea)=a.

My undersatnding is that the function lambda takes ea and it will map to a. Is that equivalent to saying that a maps a... which would mean that e is the identity element for a?

Even if that's correct, I am unsure of how to tackle it!
Many thanks again.

1. What is a semigroup?

A semigroup is a mathematical structure consisting of a set and a binary operation that combines any two elements of the set to produce a third element of the set. The operation must be associative, meaning the order in which the elements are combined does not affect the result.

2. How is a semigroup different from a group?

A group is a type of semigroup that also has the additional property of having an identity element and inverses for every element in the set. This means that every element in a group has an element that, when combined with it using the group operation, results in the identity element.

3. What is the proof that a semigroup is also a group?

The proof for this statement is known as the semigroup cancellation law. It states that if a semigroup has an element with a left inverse and a right inverse, then it must also have an identity element. This identity element, along with the inverses, satisfies the properties of a group.

4. Can a semigroup be a group if it does not have an identity element?

No, a semigroup must have an identity element in order to be a group. This is because the identity element is necessary for the existence of inverses, which are a defining property of a group.

5. What are some examples of semigroups that are also groups?

Some examples include the set of real numbers under addition, the set of non-zero real numbers under multiplication, and the set of invertible matrices under matrix multiplication. In each of these cases, the operation is associative, and the set also contains an identity element and inverses for every element.