1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof that closure of a space equals another space.

1. Nov 29, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Define:

- c0 = {(xn)n [itex]\in[/itex] [itex]\ell[/itex][itex]\infty[/itex] : limn → [itex]\infty[/itex] xn = 0}

- l0 = {(xn)n [itex]\in[/itex] [itex]\ell[/itex][itex]\infty[/itex] : [itex]\exists[/itex] N [itex]\in[/itex] the natural numbers, (xn)n = 0, n [itex]\geq[/itex] N}

Problem: Prove that [itex]\overline{\ell}[/itex]0= c0 in [itex]\ell[/itex][itex]\infty[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I want to find the solution using the limit-definition of closure.

Considering an element

x = (xn) [itex]\in[/itex] c0

and a sequence

yj = (xjn) [itex]\in[/itex] [itex]\ell[/itex]0,

such that xnj = xn for n < j, xnj = 0, otherwise.

Using the metric induced by the supremum norm; || xn - xnj || [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] 0 as j tends to infinity. We can du this for all elements in c0, and hence c0 [itex]\subseteq[/itex] [itex]\overline{\ell}[/itex]0.

My problem is to show the other direction, that is

[itex]\overline{\ell}[/itex]0 [itex]\subseteq[/itex] c0

I need to show that elements in [itex]\overline{\ell}[/itex]0 has a vanishing limit. I don't know how to do this using the supremum norm. In fact, it seems impossible to me..

Can I get any help?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2012 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Clearly, we know that [itex]\ell_0\subseteq c_0[/itex]. Try to prove now that [itex]c_0[/itex] is closed. This would imply what you try to prove.

4. Nov 29, 2012 #3
    Hmmm.. When is it true that [itex]A \subseteq B \Rightarrow[/itex] [itex]\bar{A}[/itex] [itex]\subseteq[/itex] [itex]\bar{B}[/itex] ?

I ask because I've been working on a similar problem: Prove that [itex]\bar{\ell}[/itex]0 = [itex]\ell[/itex]2 in [itex]\ell[/itex]2.

With a similar approach of the attempt above I got [itex]\bar{\ell}[/itex]0 [itex]\supseteq[/itex] [itex]\ell[/itex]2.

Since [itex]\ell[/itex]0 [itex]\subseteq[/itex] [itex]\ell[/itex]2 (for obvious reasons),
    [itex]\bar{\ell}[/itex]0 [itex]\subseteq[/itex][itex]\ell[/itex]2 iff [itex]\ell[/itex]2 = [itex]\bar{\ell}[/itex]2 (correct me if I'm wrong here).

In that case, [itex]\bar{\ell}[/itex]0 = [itex]\ell[/itex]2 in [itex]\ell[/itex]2.

(I guess it might is trivial that [itex]\ell[/itex]2 = [itex]\bar{\ell}[/itex]2 in [itex]\ell[/itex]2, but Is there an easy way to prove this?)

Any comments?

:smile:

5. Nov 29, 2012 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

This is always true. Try to prove it.

If X is a metric space, then [itex]\overline{X}=X[/itex] (closure in X). Try to prove this.

6. Nov 29, 2012 #5
    I certiantly will!

Thank you for your help! Much appreciated :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook