1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof that lim sup cos(n) is 1

1. Jul 3, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Prove that the lim sup cos(n)=1

2. Relevant equations

given any [itex]α\in\mathbb{R}-\mathbb{Q} , \exists P_n,Q_n\in\mathbb{N}.\ni.\frac{P_n}{Q_n} \rightarrow {a} [/itex] and by definition, [itex] \frac{1}{Q_n} \rightarrow 0[/itex]

Also, [itex] cos^{2}(x)=\frac{1+cos(2x)}{2}[/itex]

My attempt

I first consider [itex]lim\:sup\:cos^{2}(n) [/itex]
    We know that [itex]\exists P_n,Q_n\in\mathbb{N}.\ni.\frac{P_n}{Q_n} \rightarrow {\pi}[/itex] which means [itex]\forall \epsilon>0 \: \exists{N} \: .\ni. \forall{n}>N, \: |\frac{P_n}{Q_n}-\pi|<\epsilon[/itex]
    pick [itex]N.\ni.\:\epsilon<\frac{1}{Q_{n}^2}[/itex]
    So it follows that [itex]|\frac{P_n}{Q_n}-\pi|<\frac{1}{Q_{n}^2}[/itex]
    and therefore [itex]|P_n-Q_n\pi|<\frac{1}{Q_n} [/itex], am I allowed to make assume by continuity that [itex]|cos^{2}(P_n)-cos^{2}(Q_n\pi)|=|cos^{2}(P_n)-1|<ε [/itex] and since [itex] P_k = a_{n_{k}} [/itex] where [itex]a_n=n[/itex]?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 3, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Why would you do all of that? You know that [itex]cos(x)\le 1[/itex] for all x and that cos(0)= 1. Therefore the maximum value of cos(x) is 1 and so is "lim sup".

(Strictly speaking "lim sup" is defined for sets, not functions, but I assume that by "lim sup cos(x)" you mean "lim sup {y| y= cos(x) for some x}".)

4. Jul 3, 2012 #3
    It's not for a function.... but the sequence cos(n)
    where n=1,2,3... and so on
    obviously I know that cosine is max at 1, but i have to prove that the lim sup is 1 over natural numbers

5. Jul 3, 2012 #4
    to clarify, I need to show that
    [itex] \stackrel{limit}{N \rightarrow{\infty}}\:sup\left\{cos(n):n\in\mathbb{N} \wedge n>N\right\}=1[/itex]

6. Jul 3, 2012 #5
    also.... having a maximum value of 1 at 0 is not the same as having the lim sup being 1...
    max value of 1/n is 1 (n=1)... but the lim sup {1/n:n is a natural number and n>N}=0

7. Jul 3, 2012 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, now that I see that it is the limit of hte sequence, not the function, you are correct.

8. Jul 3, 2012 #7
    but as far as my proof, is it a correct assumption?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook