Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof that lim x->0 log(1+x)/x = 1

1. Jan 7, 2008 #1
    Given that [tex]\log{(1+x)}=\int_0^x\frac{dt}{1+t}[/tex], how would one prove that [tex]\lim_{x \to 0}\frac{\log{(1+x)}}{x}=1[/tex]?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2008 #2
    Just use l'Hôpital's rule and the fundamental theorem of calculus.

4. Jan 7, 2008 #3
    Thanks! I had thought of that. However, L'Hôpital's rule is introduced much later in this book so I assume I'm not supposed to use it. It's so far covered logarithms, differentiation and integration techniques... any other ideas?

5. Jan 7, 2008 #4
    Ok, if you can't use l'Hôpital, how about this? Subtract a log(1) from the numerator in the expression of the limit. It should look quite familiar now. :-D

6. Jan 7, 2008 #5
    Sorry, I should have mentioned something: You're supposed to prove it using the identity I gave in the first part of my post. This is part B of an exercise in apostol. Part A was to prove it using your method, which I did.

The statement of part A was something like "Prove the relationship using the definition of f'(1), where f(x) = log(x)" or something of that nature.

7. Jan 7, 2008 #6

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Express [itex]1/(1+t)[/itex] as an infinite series, integrate from 0 to x, divide by x, and take the limit as [itex]x\to 0[/itex].

8. Jan 7, 2008 #7
    Meh. The book hasn't covered series' either. Oh well.

9. Jan 8, 2008 #8

Gib Z

Homework Helper

I haven't tried this yet, normally I would go with either of Monchot's suggestions, but you could try expressing the integral in terms of Riemann sums. I think that should work.

10. Jan 8, 2008 #9
    For the expression

[tex]I=\frac{1}{x}\,\int_0^x\frac{d\,t}{1+t}[/tex]

apply the change of variables [itex]t=x\,u,d\,t=x\,du[/itex], so

[tex]I=\int_0^1\frac{d\,u}{1+x\,u}[/tex]

Then

[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0}I=\int_0^1 \lim_{x \rightarrow 0}\left(\frac{1}{1+x\,u}\right)\,d\,u=\int_0^1 d\,u=1[/tex].

You are allowed to change order between the integral and the limit, since the integral exists by hypothesis.

11. Jan 8, 2008 #10

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Rainbow Child's suggestion crushes mine :( But I just tried it, and it works as well =]

12. Jan 8, 2008 #11
    Thank you Rainbow Child! I understand your proof and it makes perfect sense. Very clever!

13. Sep 17, 2011 #12
    Lim x->0 (x(1+(x/2)+((x^2)/3)+.................))/x
    =lim x->0 (1+(x/2)+((x^2)/3)+.................)
    =1+0+0+0......................=1

14. Sep 17, 2011 #13

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

As lovely as it is, Rainbow Child's suggestion requires knowing that, in this case,
    [tex]\lim_{x\to 0} \int_0^1 \frac{dt}{1+ xt}= \int_0^1 \lim_{x\to 0}\frac{dt}{1+ xt}[/tex]
    which, while true, probably requires deeper math than uman, who has not yet dealt with L'Hopital's rule or power series, has available.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?