Proof that lim x->0 log(1+x)/x = 1

• Thread starter uman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary: Therefore, here is a simpler solution, which does not require knowledge of power series.Given that \log{(1+x)}=\int_0^x\frac{dt}{1+t}, we may substitute u = 1/(1+t), du = -dt/(1+t)^2, and thus\int_0^x\frac{dt}{1+t} = \int_1^{1/(1+x)}\frac{du}{u} = \log u\vert_1^{1/(1+x)} = \log(1/(1+x)) - \log 1 = -\log(1+x).Thus \log (1+x) = -\int_0^x\frac
uman
Given that [tex]\log{(1+x)}=\int_0^x\frac{dt}{1+t}[/tex], how would one prove that [tex]\lim_{x \to 0}\frac{\log{(1+x)}}{x}=1[/tex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
Just use l'Hôpital's rule and the fundamental theorem of calculus.

Thanks! I had thought of that. However, L'Hôpital's rule is introduced much later in this book so I assume I'm not supposed to use it. It's so far covered logarithms, differentiation and integration techniques... any other ideas?

Ok, if you can't use l'Hôpital, how about this? Subtract a log(1) from the numerator in the expression of the limit. It should look quite familiar now. :-D

Sorry, I should have mentioned something: You're supposed to prove it using the identity I gave in the first part of my post. This is part B of an exercise in apostol. Part A was to prove it using your method, which I did.

The statement of part A was something like "Prove the relationship using the definition of f'(1), where f(x) = log(x)" or something of that nature.

Express [itex]1/(1+t)[/itex] as an infinite series, integrate from 0 to x, divide by x, and take the limit as [itex]x\to 0[/itex].

Meh. The book hasn't covered series' either. Oh well.

I haven't tried this yet, normally I would go with either of Monchot's suggestions, but you could try expressing the integral in terms of Riemann sums. I think that should work.

uman said:
Given that [tex]\log{(1+x)}=\int_0^x\frac{dt}{1+t}[/tex], how would one prove that [tex]\lim_{x \to 0}\frac{\log{(1+x)}}{x}=1[/tex]?

For the expression

[tex]I=\frac{1}{x}\,\int_0^x\frac{d\,t}{1+t}[/tex]

apply the change of variables [itex]t=x\,u,d\,t=x\,du[/itex], so

[tex]I=\int_0^1\frac{d\,u}{1+x\,u}[/tex]

Then

[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0}I=\int_0^1 \lim_{x \rightarrow 0}\left(\frac{1}{1+x\,u}\right)\,d\,u=\int_0^1 d\,u=1[/tex].

You are allowed to change order between the integral and the limit, since the integral exists by hypothesis.

Rainbow Child's suggestion crushes mine :( But I just tried it, and it works as well =]

Thank you Rainbow Child! I understand your proof and it makes perfect sense. Very clever!

Lim x->0 (x(1+(x/2)+((x^2)/3)+....))/x
=lim x->0 (1+(x/2)+((x^2)/3)+....)
=1+0+0+0......=1

As lovely as it is, Rainbow Child's suggestion requires knowing that, in this case,
[tex]\lim_{x\to 0} \int_0^1 \frac{dt}{1+ xt}= \int_0^1 \lim_{x\to 0}\frac{dt}{1+ xt}[/tex]
which, while true, probably requires deeper math than uman, who has not yet dealt with L'Hopital's rule or power series, has available.

1. What is the proof that lim x->0 log(1+x)/x = 1?

The proof for this limit involves using the definition of a limit and the properties of logarithms. It can be shown algebraically that as x approaches 0, the expression log(1+x)/x approaches 1.

2. Why is this limit important in mathematics?

This limit is important because it is a fundamental result in calculus and is used in many applications, such as in finding the derivatives of logarithmic functions. It also plays a role in the study of infinite series and the growth of functions.

3. Can you provide a graphical representation of this limit?

Yes, a graphical representation of this limit would show that as x approaches 0 from the right and from the left, the graph of log(1+x)/x approaches a horizontal asymptote at y = 1.

4. Are there any specific conditions or assumptions needed for this limit to hold?

Yes, in order for this limit to hold, it is necessary for x to approach 0 in the domain of the function log(1+x)/x. Additionally, it is assumed that x is approaching 0 from both the positive and negative sides.

5. How can this limit be used in real-world scenarios?

This limit can be used in real-world scenarios to model the growth of various quantities, such as populations or financial investments. It can also be used in engineering and physics to analyze rates of change and optimize systems.