Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof theoretic ordinal of zfc, and other formal systems

1. Jun 27, 2009 #1
    what is the proof-theoretic strength (largest ordinal whose existence can be proved) for ZFC set theory?

Last edited: Jun 28, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 28, 2009 #2
    If an ordinal [tex]\alpha[/tex] can be proved to exist, so can [tex]\alpha+1[/tex]

So in fact you probably want least ordinal whose existence cannot be proved

4. Jun 28, 2009 #3
    oops, my bad. what is it?

5. Jun 29, 2009 #4
    could someone answer this question? please?
    What is the least ordinal whose existence can't be proven in ZFC?

6. Jun 29, 2009 #5
    what is the proof theoretic strenght of zfc? please help, i want to know!

plz, hurkyl, don't make me wait!!!

Last edited: Jun 29, 2009
  7. Jun 30, 2009 #6
    Why not research the question elsewhere on the Internet?

8. Jun 30, 2009 #7

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What? All I can do is make the obvious guess, and I'm not even sure that's well-defined, let alone the answer you seek.

9. Jun 30, 2009 #8
    if the smallest ordinal that can't be proven is well-defined: what determines that? that a stronger set theory is not known?

so we just call the ordinal "the proof theoretic ordinal of zfc"? ok. might not be an oridnal with a name, like kripke-platek ordinal

Last edited: Jun 30, 2009
  10. Jun 30, 2009 #9

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The obvious guess would (IMHO) be something like the supremum of all of the ordinals in the constructible hierarchy.

However, I'm not sure the question is well-defined: why should "ZFC proves the existence of [itex]\beta[/itex]" and "[itex]\alpha < \beta[/itex]" should imply "ZFC proves the existence of [itex]\alpha[/itex]".

11. Jun 30, 2009 #10

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Perhaps it isn't well defined. What is known, then, about the supremum of the set of definable ordinals in ZFC, and the infimum of undefinable ordinals in ZFC?

12. Jun 30, 2009 #11

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

And that's where the extent of my knowledge ends. :smile: Although now that I think about it, the continuum hypotheses probably tells us some interesting information.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook