Proof using counterexample. HELP

In summary, a counterexample in mathematics is a specific example that disproves a statement. It is used in mathematical proofs to demonstrate that a statement is not universally true. However, it cannot be used to prove a statement, as other supporting evidence and logical reasoning are needed for a valid proof. Additionally, there are limitations to using counterexamples in proofs, as they may only apply to a specific set of conditions and may not hold true for all cases.
limegreen00
1. Prove by minimum counterexample that for all n>=0, 5/(32n)-4n)

2. Homework Equations : proof by induction?

3. I tried plugging in 0 for n because that would be the minimum counterexample since 5 can't divide 0. If it's not zero it might be 2 because that works as well. I'm not sure where to go from there or what to state if I am right.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would try to figure out a simpler way to write 3^(2n) mod 5. I.e. what's a simpler expression for its remainder after division by 5. Or just write it as 9^n-4^n and think about factoring.

Last edited:

1. What is a counterexample in mathematics?

A counterexample in mathematics is an example that disproves a statement or conjecture. It is a specific case that contradicts the general claim being made.

2. How is a counterexample used in mathematical proofs?

A counterexample is used in mathematical proofs to show that a statement is not universally true. By finding a specific case that goes against the statement, the proof is able to demonstrate that the statement is false.

3. Can a counterexample be used to prove a statement?

No, a counterexample cannot be used to prove a statement. It can only be used to disprove a statement. To prove a statement, a valid logical argument or mathematical proof is required.

4. Is a counterexample always a valid proof?

No, a counterexample alone is not a valid proof. It is only one step in the process of disproving a statement. Other supporting evidence and logical reasoning are needed to fully prove a statement.

5. Are there any limitations to using counterexamples in proofs?

Yes, there are limitations to using counterexamples in proofs. A counterexample may only disprove a statement for a specific set of conditions, and may not hold true for all cases. Therefore, it is important to carefully consider the scope and applicability of a counterexample in a proof.