Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof using implicit differentiation

1. Dec 5, 2009 #1
    Prove that if P(a,b) is a point on the rotated ellipse C (whose equation is [tex] x^2 -xy +y^2=4 [/tex]), then so is Q(-a,-b), and that the tangent lines to C at P and Q are parallel.
    The equation of the line joining P and Q is
    y - b = m(x - a), where [tex] m= \frac{b-(-b)}{a-(-a)} = \frac{b}{a}[/tex], then the equation of the line is [tex] y=\frac{b}{a}x [/tex]. Now, do I substitute for y into the equation for C? To prove the tangent lines are parallel, I have, [tex] \frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{y-2x}{2y-x}[/tex].
    If I replace x by a/-a and y by b/-b respectively, I get the following for the tangent lines [tex] \frac{b-2a}{2b-a}, \frac{-b+2a}{-2b+a}[/tex] which are not the same slope!. I'm studying this on my own so please help. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I take you have proven that "if P(a,b) is on C then so is Q(-a,-b)". That's simple substitution.
    But I have no idea why you are looking at "the line joining P and Q". That has nothing to do with the tangent lines.
    Yes, 2x- y- xy'+ 2yy'= 0 so (2y-x)y'= y- 2x and y'= (y- 2x)/(2y-x). If you replace x by a and y by b, you get (b-2a)/(2b-a) as slope of the tangent line. If you replace x by -a and y by -b, you get (-b+2a)/(-2b+ a) as slope- and those are exactly the same: factor a (-1) out of both numerator and denominator in the second fraction.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook