Proove that a function is cointinuous at one point

In summary, I think I understand the definition of limit, but I don't understand how to apply it for my function.
Hernaner28
Hi, I've been trying to proof this with a partner and we couldn't, we tried to apply the definition of limit and continuity but we didn't get anything. This is the problem:

"Let f a function which satisfies $$|f(x)|\leq|x| \forall{x\in{\mathbb{R}}}$$

Proof that is continuous at 0.

Thanks!

PD: I forgot to say that I figured out what f(0) is. And it's obviously 0 because the absolute value cannot be less than 0:

$$|f(0)|<=|0|$$ then $$f(0)=0$$ . But I just don't know how to apply the definition.. do I have to find the epsilon or delta? Thanks for answering!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hernaner28 said:
Hi, I've been trying to proof this with a partner and we couldn't, we tried to apply the definition of limit and continuity but we didn't get anything. This is the problem:

"Let f a function which satisfies $$|f(x)|\leq|x| \forall{x\in{\mathbb{R}}}$$

Proof that is continuous at 0.

Thanks!

Have you figured out what value f(0) is? Do that and then show us what you get when you apply the ##\epsilon-\delta## definition for continuity at 0.

Oh yeah! I forgot to say that I figured out what f(0) is. And it's obviously 0 because the absolute value cannot be less than 0:

$$|f(0)|<=|0|$$ then $$f(0)=0$$ . But I just don't know how to apply the definition.. do I have to find the epsilon or delta? Thanks for answering!

Hernaner28 said:
Oh yeah! I forgot to say that I figured out what f(0) is. And it's obviously 0 because the absolute value cannot be less than 0:

Write out the definition, word for word, for a function f(x) to be continuous at ##x=a##. Just copy it from your text. Then put ##a=0## in that statement and see if it is true with what you are given.

It should be like this:

$$\forall{\epsilon>0}\textrm{ } \exists{ \delta>0}: \textrm{if } 0<|x-0|<\delta \Longrightarrow{|f(x)-0|< \epsilon}$$

So:
$$|x|< \delta$$
and
$$|f(x)|< \epsilon$$

??

Hernaner28 said:
It should be like this:

$$\forall{\epsilon>0}\textrm{ } \exists{ \delta>0}: \textrm{if } 0<|x-0|<\delta \Longrightarrow{|f(x)-0|< \epsilon}$$

So:
$$|x|< \delta$$
and
$$|f(x)|< \epsilon$$

??

So given ##\epsilon>0##, you have to find a ##\delta## depending on ##\epsilon## such that if ##|x|<\delta## then ##|f(x)|<\epsilon##. Can you come up with a ##\delta## which works for your function given what you know about it?

No, I cannot come up with a solution! And I'm sure this is really simple! Can delta and epsilon be zero?

|f(x)|<=|x|

So draw two lines.
y = x and y=-x.

The only place where f(x) can lie is the area enclosed between these two lines.(How?)

What do you see?

The basic idea is that if x<=|a| (let a be positive )

then, x lies between -a and a. (with -a and a included)

If x>=|a| then,

x lies between -infinity to -a and a to infinity
(with -a and a included)

So when |f(x)| <=|x|

what do you get the range of f(x).

What does this show for
x---> 0. ?

Last edited:
OK, try taking a concrete example and see if you can find a [itex]\delta[/itex] that way. For example, let [itex]f(x) = |x|[/itex] clearly [itex]|f(x)| \leq |x| \forall x \in R[/itex]. Now, can you find a [itex]\delta[/itex] such that [itex]|f(x) - 0| < \epsilon[/itex] whenever [itex]|x| < \delta[/itex]?If so, can you see how this can be genralised (it is a very short generalsation) to your problem?If you can't come up with a [itex]\delta[/itex] I suggest taking a break from this problem and come back to it in a few hours or tomorrow.

Last edited:
Hernaner28 said:

$$|f(0)|<=|0|$$ then $$f(0)=0$$ .
You mean f(0) >= 0, not <= 0.
This doesn't necessarily imply that |0| = 0. All that you have shown here is that it can't be smaller than 0. You haven't eliminated or dealt with the possibility that it could be larger than 0.

A simpler explanation uses the idea that the absolute value represents the distance between a given number and zero. Obviously the distance from 0 to 0 is 0, so |0| = 0.
Hernaner28 said:
But I just don't know how to apply the definition.. do I have to find the epsilon or delta? Thanks for answering!

Robert1986 said:
OK, try taking a concrete example and see if you can find a [itex]\delta[/itex] that way. For example, let [itex]f(x) = |x|[/itex] clearly [itex]|f(x)| \leq |x| \forall x \in R[/itex]. Now, can you find a [itex]\delta[/itex] such that [itex]|f(x) - 0| < \epsilon[/itex] whenever [itex]|x| < \delta[/itex]?If so, can you see how this can be genralised (it is a very short generalsation) to your problem?If you can't come up with a [itex]\delta[/itex] I suggest taking a break from this problem and come back to it in a few hours or tomorrow.

I made a graphic and analised the function |x| but in that case the delta has to be negative from the left and positive fro the right so the limit is zero. I don't understand what the delta means! You're talking about it as if it was an unique number... I thought these numbers (epsilon and delta) could be chosen freely and one depends on the other but they're not unique, just a range. It's the first time I am proving this kind of things and I know it's basic and will be essential so please don't make me think things I won't realize, I need a demonstration first. I really appreciate your help but I've been trying all day... this is getting me irritated. I cannot think anymore ... lol

Hernaner28 said:
No, I cannot come up with a solution! And I'm sure this is really simple! Can delta and epsilon be zero?

No. You know that ##|f(x)|\le|x|## for your function. How small does ##\delta## need to be so that if ##|x|<\delta##, then ##|f(x)|<\epsilon##? It is really easy if you just look at it.

Hernaner28 said:

Mark44 said:
You mean f(0) >= 0, not <= 0.
This doesn't necessarily imply that |0| = 0. All that you have shown here is that it can't be smaller than 0. You haven't eliminated or dealt with the possibility that it could be larger than 0.

No, he means ##|f(0)|\le 0## like he wrote and his argument is correct that ##f(0)=0##.

Alright.. I made a horrible paint drawing which I attached. Is that representation right? I think I'm not imagining well how it works graphically...

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 341
LCKurtz said:
No, he means ##|f(0)|\le 0## like he wrote and his argument is correct that ##f(0)=0##.
I stand corrected. I was laboring under the false impression that f(x) = |x|.

Read each of the posts again.
Every member has said some really useful point and arranging these like jigsaws will solve your puzzle.

As i said in my post before,

You get f(x) as lying between x and -x(how?)

Meaning f(2) can lie anywhere -2 and 2

As x tends to 0(from the RHS),

lets say x is at 0.001
f(x) can lie between -0.001 and 0.001.

What do you see when x gets really small as in 0?

Once you have figured this out graphically and logically you can start working back on your method using delta's which will look much easier.

Last edited:
Oh yeah! Thanks! I think I understood the condition graphically... take a look at my attached drawing. Now I will analise it and see if I can come up with something. thanks!

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    6.4 KB · Views: 379
So the delta has to be zero! Why not?

Isn't part of the definition of continuity "there exists a delta greater than zero"? So delta cannot equal zero.

LCKurtz said:
No. You know that ##|f(x)|\le|x|## for your function. How small does ##\delta## need to be so that if ##|x|<\delta##, then ##|f(x)|<\epsilon##? It is really easy if you just look at it.

Hernaner28 said:
So the delta has to be zero! Why not?

You were within one step of being done with this problem. Have you given any thought to the line I re-quoted above?

Yeah I've thought about it and made the graphic which I attached above. I know neither delta nor epsilon can be zero, I mean that delta can be as small as zero (but not zero) so that way x will tend to zero and so will f(x), why is that wrong'?

Last edited:
You are given ##|f(x)|\le |x|##. How small does ##|x|## need to be to guarantee ##|f(x)|<\epsilon##? It is really trivial.

Could be that having $$|f(x)|\leq |x|$$ if $$|x|\neq |f(x)|$$ and $$|x|=\epsilon$$
then $$|f(x)|<\epsilon$$?

You want ##|f(x)| < \epsilon##. What if ##|x|<\epsilon##? Would that do it?

Yes I thought about that too.. but what's the point of this? What I wrote before is also right, isn't it?

If it's right, it is sufficiently poorly written that it isn't clear to me that you actually understand it yet. Remember what you were trying to do: Given ##\epsilon>0## find a ##\delta## such that if ##|x - 0 |<\delta## then ##|f(x) - f(0)|<\epsilon##. Since ##f(0)=0## this reduces to finding saying find a ##\delta## such that if ##|x|<\delta## then ##|f(x)|<\epsilon##. Since you are given ##|f(x)|\le |x|##, if you choose ##\delta =\epsilon## and take ##|x|<\delta##, you have ##|f(x)|\le |x|<\epsilon##. That is all there is to it and that is also how it should be written up. You might want to ponder that until you are sure you understand it.

Oh yes! It was really trivial! I'm so ashamed ... well, I really thank you for the help. Now that you've showed me how these demonstrations work I will continue with another which states the following:

"Suppose g is continuous at 0, $$g(0)=0$$ and $$|f(x)|\leq |g(x)|$$. Proove f is continuous at 0."

I'll do my best to prove this! I'll write back when I get something!
THANKS VERY VERY MUCH everyone for your help!

I've done this so far and I think it's the same situation as above (same demonstration):

We have:

$$\textrm{g continuous at 0 and g(0)=0}\Longleftrightarrow{\displaystyle\lim_{x \to{0}}{g(x)}=g(0)=0} $$
$$ \left . \begin{matrix}{g(0)=0}\\{|f(x)|\leq |g(x)|}\end{matrix}\right \} \Longrightarrow{}f(0)=0$$

And I have to prove that f is cont. at 0.
So I have to fid a delta such that:
$$\forall{\varepsilon>0}\textrm{ } \exists{ \delta>0}: \textrm{if } 0<|x-0|<\delta \Longrightarrow{|f(x)-0|< \varepsilon}$$

And I'm in the same problem as before, right? I just choose δ equal ε . If this is OK then I don't understand why it tells me that g is cont. at 0 because I never used that.

If you want to do another problem, it would be best to start a new thread. (Actually that is in the forum rules). I'm about to turn my computer off and watch the NCAA basketball tournament. People are more likely to read a new thread than one that has gone on as long as this.

alright! I will make a new thread! Thanks!

Hernaner28 said:
I've done this so far and I think it's the same situation as above (same demonstration):

We have:

$$\textrm{g continuous at 0 and g(0)=0}\Longleftrightarrow{\displaystyle\lim_{x \to{0}}{g(x)}=g(0)=0} $$
$$ \left . \begin{matrix}{g(0)=0}\\{|f(x)|\leq |g(x)|}\end{matrix}\right \} \Longrightarrow{}f(0)=0$$

And I have to prove that f is cont. at 0.
So I have to fid a delta such that:
$$\forall{\varepsilon>0}\textrm{ } \exists{ \delta>0}: \textrm{if } 0<|x-0|<\delta \Longrightarrow{|f(x)-0|< \varepsilon}$$

And I'm in the same problem as before, right? I just choose δ equal ε . If this is OK then I don't understand why it tells me that g is cont. at 0 because I never used that.

Hey.
g(x) is continuos is reauired.
Your proof uptil now hasn't painted the whole picture.

Think it this way.
g(0) is 0.

Now if g(x) wasn't continuos g(0.000001) [taking v small value)could hve had value 50000.

In that case f(0.000001) could have been anywhere between -50,000 and 50,000 which would make f(x) non-continuos like g(x).

The basic method is to realize the f(x) gets sandwiched as it reaches 0.

You can prove this by the graphical method and also the algebraic method (which is more important as you camnot always draw graphs) of your previous question.

The method should be same as what you wrote for your last term.
Just replace x with g(x) everywhere.

Also make sure the algebra method makes sense to you.It's important you realize how you got the answer and ask yourself if the answer has loopholes :-)

1. What does it mean for a function to be continuous at one point?

A function is continuous at a point if the limit of the function at that point exists and is equal to the value of the function at that point.

2. How can I prove that a function is continuous at a specific point?

To prove that a function is continuous at a point, you need to show that the limit of the function at that point exists and is equal to the value of the function at that point. This can be done through algebraic manipulation, using the definition of continuity, or by using the intermediate value theorem.

3. What is the definition of continuity?

Continuity is a property of a function that states that the function's output changes smoothly as its input changes. In other words, a function is continuous if there are no abrupt changes or breaks in its graph.

4. Can a function be continuous at one point but not at others?

Yes, a function can be continuous at one point but not at others. This is because continuity is a local property, meaning it only applies to a specific point and its immediate surroundings. A function can be continuous at one point but have discontinuities at other points.

5. What are some common examples of functions that are continuous at one point?

Some common examples of functions that are continuous at one point include polynomials, rational functions, and trigonometric functions. These types of functions have smooth and continuous graphs without any abrupt changes or breaks.