Proper chemical to dissolve/decompose adhesive scotch tape

• Thread starter Mohiuddin Munna
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemical
In summary, the individual is looking for a chemical that can dissolve the tape and its adhesive without damaging the IC die (GaN grown on Si) that is stuck to it. Acetone or hexane are possible options, and a previous thread on the topic can provide more information.
Mohiuddin Munna
I put few IC die (GaN grown on Si ) in small plastic case on top of scotch tape so that it can't movie . Now I it firmly stuck on it. I try to move it physically by a niddle and twister and already broke one. I need a chemical which will dissolve the tape including adhesive but not the die. Would you please

So what's the proper chemical to dissolve/decompose adhesive tape?

Thanks for your help.

I put few IC die (GaN grown on Si ) in small plastic case on top of scotch tape so that it can't movie . Now I it firmly stuck on it. I try to move it physically by a niddle and twister and already broke one. I need a chemical which will dissolve the tape including adhesive but not the die. Would you please

So what's the proper chemical to dissolve/decompose adhesive tape?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Acetone weakens or dissolves many common adhesives .

1. What is the most effective chemical for dissolving adhesive scotch tape?

The most effective chemical for dissolving adhesive scotch tape is acetone. It is a strong solvent that can quickly break down the adhesive bonds in the tape, making it easy to remove.

2. Is acetone safe to use for dissolving adhesive scotch tape?

Acetone is generally safe to use for dissolving adhesive scotch tape, but it is important to use it in a well-ventilated area and to avoid getting it on your skin or in your eyes. It can also damage certain surfaces, so it is important to test it on a small, inconspicuous area first.

3. Are there any other chemicals that can effectively dissolve adhesive scotch tape?

Yes, there are several other chemicals that can be used to dissolve adhesive scotch tape, such as isopropyl alcohol, mineral spirits, and citrus-based cleaners. However, these may not be as effective as acetone and may also have potential risks and limitations.

4. How should I apply the chemical to the adhesive scotch tape?

The best way to apply the chemical is to soak a cloth or cotton ball with the solvent and then carefully dab it onto the tape. You can also use a small brush or a Q-tip to apply the solvent directly to the tape. It is important to be gentle and avoid using too much pressure to prevent damaging the surface underneath the tape.

5. Can I reuse the chemical for dissolving adhesive scotch tape?

Yes, you can reuse the chemical as long as it is still effective in dissolving the adhesive. However, it is recommended to use a fresh batch each time to ensure the best results. Additionally, be sure to properly dispose of the chemical after use, following all safety precautions and guidelines.