Proper mathematical notation in regarding integrals

In summary, Niles has a question about notation for integrating a function, f(x, y), with a specific condition. They are wondering if there is a shorter way to write the condition, such as defining a set α. They are seeking professional help and were given two options for writing the integral notation.
Niles
Hi

I have a question regarding notation. I have a function f(x, y), which I would like to integrate as
[tex]
\int_{x>0,y<x\frac{1}{\sqrt{\pi}}+1}{f(x, y) dxdy}
[/tex]
My question is very simple, and probably very silly: What there a notation which enables me to write the condition for the integral (x>0, y ...) in a much shorter version? I thought about defining a set myself called α, which is defined by this condition and then just write
[tex]
\int_{\alpha}{f(x, y) dxdy}
[/tex]
But I am not sure if I am allowed to do this. Even if I am allowed to do this, I don't know how to properly define the set. I would be very happy to receive some professional help.

Best wishes,
Niles.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Niles! :smile:

You can either write it with two ∫ signs …
[tex]
\int_{x>0}\int_{y<x\frac{1}{\sqrt{\pi}}+1}f(x, y) dxdy
[/tex]

or you can write it
[tex]
\int_A f(x, y) dxdy
[/tex]

and state separately that A is the region [itex]x>0,y<x\frac{1}{\sqrt{\pi}}+1[/itex]

Hi

Thanks for that.Niles.

1. What is the proper notation for an indefinite integral?

The proper mathematical notation for an indefinite integral is ∫f(x)dx, where f(x) is the function being integrated and dx represents the infinitesimal change in the independent variable.

2. How do you denote the limits of integration in a definite integral?

In a definite integral, the limits of integration are denoted by placing them as subscripts on the integral symbol, such as ∫abf(x)dx, where a and b represent the lower and upper limits, respectively.

3. What does the symbol ∫ represent in mathematical notation?

The symbol ∫ represents the integral sign and is used to denote the process of calculating the area under a curve or the accumulation of a quantity over a given interval.

4. Is it necessary to include the variable of integration in an integral?

Yes, it is necessary to include the variable of integration in an integral as it represents the independent variable with respect to which the integration is being performed. Without it, the integral would not have any meaning.

5. How do you represent a multiple integral in mathematical notation?

A multiple integral is denoted by adding additional integral symbols and corresponding variables of integration. For example, the notation for a double integral would be ∬f(x,y)dxdy and for a triple integral it would be ∭f(x,y,z)dxdydz.