Proper use of comparison theorum?

• Thread starter PCSL
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Comparison
In summary, the conversation involves using the comparison theorem to determine the convergence of two integrals: \int_{0}^{\frac{pi}{2}} \frac{cos(x)}{x^{1/2}} dx and \int_{\frac{1}{2}}^{1} \frac{1}{x(1-x)^{\frac{1}{3}}} dx. The reasoning behind the comparison is to overestimate the numerator and/or underestimate the denominator to get an integrand that is both easier and convergent. The hint given is to note that (1/x) is greater than 1 and to sketch a graph to determine the maximum and minimum values of sec(pi*x) on the given interval.
PCSL
[tex]\int_{0}^{\frac{pi}{2}} \frac{cos(x)}{x^{1/2}} dx[/tex]

[tex]\int_{0}^{\frac{pi}{2}} \frac{cos(x)}{x^{1/2}} dx \le \int_{0}^{\frac{pi}{2}} \frac{1}{x^{1/2}} dx[/tex]

This would mean that the original equation was convergent. Was my reasoning correct in making the numerator 1 since the max value of cos(x) is 1?

Also, are there any hints you guys can give me for using the comparison theorem? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
PCSL said:
[tex]\int_{0}^{\frac{pi}{2}} \frac{cos(x)}{x^{1/2}} dx[/tex]

[tex]\int_{0}^{\frac{pi}{2}} \frac{cos(x)}{x^{1/2}} dx \le \int_{0}^{\frac{pi}{2}} \frac{1}{x^{1/2}} dx[/tex]

This would mean that the original equation was convergent. Was my reasoning correct in making the numerator 1 since the max value of cos(x) is 1?

Also, are there any hints you guys can give me for using the comparison theorem? Thanks.

Yes. It looks like you have the idea. Generally if you think something converges you would overestimate the numerator and/or underestimate the denominator to get an integrand that is both

1. Easier
2. Convergent.

And everything is just the opposite if you are trying to show an integral diverges.

Thanks!

Would this one be correct?

[tex]\int_{\frac{1}{2}}^{1} \frac{1}{x(1-x)^{\frac{1}{3}}} dx \le \int_{\frac{1}{2}}^{1} \frac{1}{(1-x)^{\frac{1}{3}}} dx[/tex]

Also, I'm a little confused on how I would break up

[tex]\int_{0}^{\frac{1}{3}} \frac{sec(\pi x)}{1-3x} dx[/tex]

Could I have a hint?

1/(x*(1-x)^(1/3)) is GREATER than 1/((1-x)^(1/3)) on [1/2,1). Do you see why? (1/x) is GREATER than 1. For the second one, sketch a graph. What are the max and min values of sec(pi*x) on [0,1/3]?

Dick said:
1/(x*(1-x)^(1/3)) is GREATER than 1/((1-x)^(1/3)) on [1/2,1). Do you see why? (1/x) is GREATER than 1. For the second one, sketch a graph. What are the max and min values of sec(pi*x) on [0,1/3]?

Haha, now the second one makes total sense but I'm lost on the first one (1/(x(1-x)^(1/3). I have to find an equation that is greater than the original correct?

PCSL said:
Haha, now the second one makes total sense but I'm lost on the first one (1/(x(1-x)^(1/3).

I assume your given function is (1/(x(1-x)^(1/3)). Split it into (1/x)*(1/(1-x)^(1/3)). What are the max and min values of (1/x) for x in the range [1/2,1]?

Dick said:
I assume your given function is (1/(x(1-x)^(1/3)). Split it into (1/x)*(1/(1-x)^(1/3)). What are the max and min values of (1/x) for x in the range [1/2,1]?

Could I do

[tex]\int_{\frac{1}{2}}^{1} \frac{1}{x(1-x)^{\frac{1}{3}}} dx \le \int_{\frac{1}{2}}^{1} \frac{1}{2(1-x)^{\frac{1}{3}}} dx[/tex]

PCSL said:
Could I do

[tex]\int_{\frac{1}{2}}^{1} \frac{1}{x(1-x)^{\frac{1}{3}}} dx \le \int_{\frac{1}{2}}^{1} \frac{1}{2(1-x)^{\frac{1}{3}}} dx[/tex]

Close. 1/x <= 2. So (1/x)*(1/(1-x)^(1/3))<=2*(1/(1-x)^(1/3)). I hope that's what you meant.

Dick said:
Close. 1/x <= 2. So (1/x)*(1/(1-x)^(1/3))<=2*(1/(1-x)^(1/3)). I hope that's what you meant.

Yes! Thank you for your help!

1. What is the purpose of the comparison theorem?

The comparison theorem is used to compare two mathematical expressions or functions and determine their relative sizes or values.

2. How does the comparison theorem work?

The comparison theorem works by finding a similar or "comparable" expression or function that is known and using it to determine the relative size or value of the original expression or function.

3. What are the key elements needed for the comparison theorem to be used?

The key elements needed for the comparison theorem to be used are a known or comparable expression or function, and a way to determine the relative sizes or values of the two expressions or functions (such as using limits or derivatives).

4. Can the comparison theorem be used for any type of mathematical expression or function?

No, the comparison theorem is typically used for functions that approach infinity or zero as their input approaches infinity or zero, respectively. It may not be applicable for other types of functions.

5. Are there any limitations to the comparison theorem?

Yes, the comparison theorem may not always provide an accurate comparison or may not be applicable for certain types of functions. It is important to carefully consider the limitations and assumptions of the comparison theorem before using it.