Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Properties of Plank wood & bridge question

1. Oct 27, 2012 #1
    Hello everybody,

For a group project, we are supposed to propose several designes for a plank bridge over a river.

I've tried to find this material's (plank wood) strength properties, or a stress-strain diagram to no avail. Do you know where I can find it?

Also, is it reasonable for a wooden bridge to be 2-3km long? Do we need supports over the river to make it safe and practical?

Your help is greatly appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2012 #2

jim mcnamara

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Oct 27, 2012 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This is what a bridge just over 2km long might look like ...

5. Oct 31, 2012 #4
    First things first. If you have decided your construction will be based on wood, you can find the approximate material properties in Michael Ashby's book on Materials Selection (http://www.amazon.com/Materials-Selection-Mechanical-Design-Fourth/dp/1856176630).

The properties you are looking for are the following: Flexural strength, buckling strength and tensile strength for a 'wood-like' material. Also, it is literally impossible that you can build a 2-3 km structure out of a single plank of wood that is supported only at the ends - if it somehow escapes bending under its own weight it will still easily be swayed by winds. Maybe I am giving you more complicated advice than you need, so just look up Ashby's book first. It deals with several nice examples regarding how to select a material for specific objectives.
  6. Nov 2, 2012 #5
    If your plank has a large enough area moment of inertia you could use one plank and not have excessive swaying... but good luck finding a tree that size...
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?