Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Properties of transition density functiions

1. Jul 3, 2009 #1
    I hope some of you know something about transition density functions. I'm wondering if there are some nice properties I can use...

Suppose p is a transition density function, defined as follows:

p(t,f,a|T,F,A) dF dA := Prob(F<f<F+dF, A<a<A+dA | F(t)=f, A(t)=a).

My question: what happens to p and its derivatives if we take limits of F and/or A to infinity? Is there a source where I can refer to for this?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 4, 2009 #2

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This is a new concept for me, but I'll try if you help me understand. When you posted p(t,f,a|T,F,A) dF dA did you mean to write p(t,f,a|T,F,A, dF, dA)? It would seem to me that Lim(F+dF) = Lim(F) = infinity as F ---> infinity, and similarly for A. So my guess is p ---> 0 as both F and A approach infinity. You can see this more clearly if you define p as F<f<F+dF, A<a<A+dA, with weak inequality.

4. Jul 4, 2009 #3
    I ment to say that p is defined as the (transition) probability of t going to T, f going to F and a going to A. Multiplying with increments dA and dF is because p itself is a probability distribution, which has to be integrated (it does not have a value in a point).

Does this make it a bit more clear?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook