Properties of transition density functiions

In summary, the conversation discusses transition density functions and their properties. The speaker is wondering what happens to the function and its derivatives when taking limits of the variables to infinity. They also ask for a recommended source for further understanding. The expert provides a possible explanation and suggests defining p as a probability distribution to better understand the concept.
mathy_girl
I hope some of you know something about transition density functions. I'm wondering if there are some nice properties I can use...

Suppose p is a transition density function, defined as follows:

p(t,f,a|T,F,A) dF dA := Prob(F<f<F+dF, A<a<A+dA | F(t)=f, A(t)=a).

My question: what happens to p and its derivatives if we take limits of F and/or A to infinity? Is there a source where I can refer to for this?

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a new concept for me, but I'll try if you help me understand. When you posted p(t,f,a|T,F,A) dF dA did you mean to write p(t,f,a|T,F,A, dF, dA)? It would seem to me that Lim(F+dF) = Lim(F) = infinity as F ---> infinity, and similarly for A. So my guess is p ---> 0 as both F and A approach infinity. You can see this more clearly if you define p as F<f<F+dF, A<a<A+dA, with weak inequality.

I ment to say that p is defined as the (transition) probability of t going to T, f going to F and a going to A. Multiplying with increments dA and dF is because p itself is a probability distribution, which has to be integrated (it does not have a value in a point).

Does this make it a bit more clear?

1. What are transition density functions?

Transition density functions are mathematical models used to describe the probability of a system transitioning from one state to another. They are commonly used in fields such as physics, chemistry, and economics to study the behavior of complex systems.

2. What are the properties of transition density functions?

The properties of transition density functions include being non-negative, being normalized to 1, and obeying the Chapman-Kolmogorov equation. They also typically exhibit smoothness, continuity, and differentiability.

3. How are transition density functions calculated?

Transition density functions are typically calculated using mathematical techniques such as Fourier transforms, Laplace transforms, or Markov chain Monte Carlo simulations. These methods allow for the determination of the probability of a system transitioning from one state to another at a specific time or over a certain period of time.

4. What is the significance of transition density functions in scientific research?

Transition density functions play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of complex systems, particularly in the fields of physics, chemistry, and economics. They allow scientists to make predictions about the future behavior of a system based on its current state and past transitions.

5. Can transition density functions be used for any type of system?

Transition density functions can be applied to a wide range of systems, including physical systems such as particles and molecules, as well as social and economic systems. However, the specific mathematical techniques used to calculate them may vary depending on the type of system being studied.