Property of thermometric substance

• Thread starter songoku
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Property
In summary, when constructing a thermometer, it is essential to have a thermometric substance that remains liquid over the entire range of temperature to be measured and has a property that varies linearly with temperature. The answer to the question of which property is needed can be (a) and (b), but it is important to note that there are also other substances, such as certain metals, that can be used as thermometers. The substances do not necessarily have to obey Boyle's Law or have a constant expansivity, as long as they have some property that is affected by temperature.
songoku

Homework Statement

For the construction of a thermometer, one of the essential requirements is a thermometric substance which

a. remains liquid over the entire range of temperature to be measured
b. has a property that varies linearly with temperature
c. has a property that varies with temperature
d. obey Boyle's Law
e. has a constant expansivity

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the answer can be (a) and (b). The substance must remains liquid so that it can measure the temperature and it must varies linearly with temperature to obtain good measurement. But the answer can be only 1...I don't know how to choose the right one

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
There are thermometers which rely on the expansion / contraction of a piece of metal to measure the temperature: nothing liquid there.
Also, if you have some property which is quadratic in temperature, does that make it impossible to use in a thermometer?

Why do you think c) , d) and e) are not correct?

Hi CompuChip

(c) is wrong because I think it should be linear (which is wrong after I read your post).

(d) is wrong because it's for ideal gas only

(e) is wrong because I think it''s really difficult to obtain a substance that has constant expansivity. The best would be "almost" constant expansivity.

So, I think the answer is (c). But, I don't know whether the reasons for (d) and (e) are correct.

Thanks

Why did you think that was an invalid reason for c?
Varying linearly with temperature is simply a special case of varying with temperature, isn't it?

Hi CompuChip

Yes. I mean that my reason for (c) is wrong. (c) should be the right answer, I think.
And are my reasoning for (d) and (e) correct?

Thanks

What is the definition of "Property of thermometric substance"?

The property of thermometric substance refers to the characteristic of a material that allows it to accurately measure temperature. This property is typically related to the expansion or contraction of the substance in response to changes in temperature.

What are some common examples of thermometric substances?

Some common examples of thermometric substances include mercury, alcohol, and bimetallic strips. These substances are often used in thermometers to measure temperature.

How do the properties of thermometric substances differ from other materials?

Thermometric substances have unique properties that make them suitable for measuring temperature. They have a high thermal expansion coefficient, meaning they expand or contract significantly in response to temperature changes. They also have a high boiling point and a wide range of temperature sensitivity.

How are thermometric substances calibrated for accurate temperature measurement?

Thermometric substances are typically calibrated by exposing them to known temperatures and recording the corresponding changes in their properties. This data is then used to create a scale or conversion table for accurate temperature measurement.

Can the properties of thermometric substances change over time?

Yes, the properties of thermometric substances can change over time due to factors such as exposure to extreme temperatures, chemical reactions, and physical damage. This is why regular calibration and maintenance of thermometers is important for accurate temperature measurement.