1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Propogation of uncertainty in a data set (finger-math at most)

1. Sep 30, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have conducted a simple lab, that involves getting the distance traveled by a vertically falling weight at certain time intervals. Velocity is calculated for every time interval (distance traveled per time interval). Then I graph velocity versus time to get acceleration which comes out decently close to g.

Now the part I am confused about is calculating uncertainty for:
    a) Velocity
    b) Acceleration
    c) y-intercept of velocity vs. time graph (acceleration line)

Absolute uncertainty for time is +-0.010s, and +-0.001m (1mm) for distance.

2. Relevant equations
    Relative uncertainty % = Absolute Uncertainty / Measured value
    * and / of uncertainties with each other adds their relative uncertainties

3. The attempt at a solution
    Since this is of a data set, you have many measured values, and it makes no sense to have a single relative uncertainty in the above equation. It would be different for each data point, correct?

Am I missing something from this concept? Or do I literally have to calculate out a different uncertainty for each velocity? Another possibility could be finding relative uncertainty for the first data point and using that % throughout the problem for all of them but that cant be right...

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2012 #2
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook