1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proportionality calculations (Coulombs Law)

1. Apr 25, 2008 #1
    Two unlike charges attract each other with a force of 5 x 10^-5 when placed 12 cm apart.

1) What is the force between them when they are 4.0cm apart

2)At what distance apart will the force between them be 2.0 x 10^-4

now i have attempted these questions, but i cannot find a suitable method of solving these questions that is consistent with all types of these questions...
    Can anyone be willing to show me a method of solving these types of questions.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2008 #2
    you know Coulombs Law?

[tex] F = \frac { k q_1 q_2 }{r^2} [/tex]

In this problem you have F = 5 x 10^-5 N if r = 5 cm. What would F be if r = 4.0 cm
  4. Apr 26, 2008 #3
    yes i know coulombs law, its just the question is worked out using proportionality from coulombs law
  5. Apr 26, 2008 #4

Homework Helper

Hi whitestrat,

Coulomb's law is an inverse square law, so, for example, if you double the distance between the charges the force decreases by a factor of four; if you halve the distance, the force increases by a factor of four.

Here the distance goes from 12cm to 4cm. So what happens to the force?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?