Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prospective grand unifying theory?

1. String theory (includes M theory and superstrings)

8 vote(s)
    23.5%
  2. quantum loop gravity

6 vote(s)
    17.6%
  3. E8 (248 dimensional shape representing each particle)

3 vote(s)
    8.8%
  4. other (please specify. i'm interested

17 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Jul 3, 2011 #1
    prospective grand unifying theory??

dunno if it belongs in this section but there are a handful of theories out there that try and describe our universe at a fundamental level. i just wanted to get everyone's opinion on two things: which GUT is most likely to become a theory of everything?
    do you think looking at stuff at a fundamental level is the right way to go about the process?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 3, 2011 #2
    Re: prospective grand unifying theory??

just to add. in my opinion, i support string/m theory in coming to an eventual theory of everything because it fully explains how gravity works at a fundamental level and explains why gravity is a relatively weak force. dimensions are a new interesting way of looking at things.

4. Jul 3, 2011 #3

i don't really understand how quantum loop gravity works, would anyone be able to explain it to me? also, are there any other contenders for "theory of everything" (TOE) other than the ones i've mentioned.

5. Jul 3, 2011 #4

Since QT and GR are based on observations, they require further explanations themselves. So any theory based on them does not explain everything and so is not a theory of everything.

6. Jul 3, 2011 #5

but it could be a prospective theory of everything

7. Jul 3, 2011 #6

if there are calculations that yield experimental proofs which are proven true?

8. Jul 3, 2011 #7

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Miba, if you are interested in the realistic prospects for unification you may have started out on the wrong foot, so to speak. I would suggest you watch the first 25 minutes of this talk

http://media.medfarm.uu.se/flvplayer/strings2011/video24

It is by a Nobel laureate, one of the authors of an important part of the Standard Model, who is still comparatively young and active in research. He is often invited to give overview talks about the state of particle physics and what he sees as the possible future developments.

After some 5 minutes of introduction he starts talking about quantitative unification to be accomplished in the next few years based on observations from the LHC and cosmology.

If you listen to Wilczek's talk about what he sees as the future of physics, especially in unification, you will learn about other things besides String and Loop and it will not be about Horava or CDT either.

The reason Wilczek is so young compared with other authors of the Standard Model is that he was only a 21-year-old graduate student when he took part in the work for which three people were later awarded the Nobel prize. This was in 1972-1973. It was about the "strong nuclear force" part of the Standard Model picture, which came together in the 1970s.

In his talk he is speaking to other physicists, trying to give an honest realistic picture. So it is not a popularization such as you might get from Kaku or Brian Greene. They paint romantic pictures to stimulate the popular imagination. Beware! :biggrin:

I think Wilczek's perspective on practical quantitative unification is invaluable because he combines the wisdom of experience of top level involvement in the 1970s with still-youthful involvement in today's front line.

I hope you watch the video. (Just the first 40% is enough). It could be 25 minutes well spent.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
  9. Jul 3, 2011 #8

okay then will do - actually i just wanted to hear everyone's feeling on each of the would be TOE's

10. Jul 3, 2011 #9

tom.stoer

Science Advisor

String theory is the only program which could be seen as a candidate for a ToE.

Loop Quantum Gravity isn't (strictly speaking) b/c the quantized gravitational field and other fields are treated on the same footing but are not unified (at least up to know).

E8 (248 dimensional shape representing each particle) by Lisi has been proven (by Distler) to be incapable to contain the standard model; perhaps you have a chance to ask Garret Lisi who is from time to time active here in this forum.

11. Jul 3, 2011 #10

garrett

Gold Member

Hi Tom,
    You shouldn't just take my word for it, but what Distler actually proved is that when one embeds gravity and the standard model in E8 in the most direct way, there are also mirror fermions. Since many were misled regarding this point, I wrote this paper to make the issue clear:
    http://arxiv.org/abs/1006.4908
    and described it in this SciAm post:
    http://www.scientificamerican.com/blog/post.cfm?id=garrett-lisi-responds-to-criticisms-2011-05-04
    Personally, I'm using this embedding as a starting point, and now working on how to describe the three generations and mixing.
    Best,
    Garrett

12. Jul 3, 2011 #11

MTd2

Gold Member

LQG is not an unifying theory. And the way people fight over vanities right now is an indication that we are hopeless.

13. Jul 3, 2011 #12

martinbn

Science Advisor

In my opinion none of the listed and not listed current contenders is going to be the TOE, because none of them looks mathematically sexy enough.

14. Jul 4, 2011 #13

MTd2

Gold Member

Oh, damn. I am becoming bored again.

15. Jul 4, 2011 #14

tom.stoer

Science Advisor

Correct.

Nobody ever claimed that it is; read Rovelli's papers, he explicitly states that the LQG research program was not started and never meant to be an unification approach.

16. Jul 4, 2011 #15

MTd2

Gold Member

That statement is my overall feeling about the whole theoretical community, it was not related to the first statement.

I am bored.

17. Jul 4, 2011 #16

you're right, but surely finding a way to "quantise" gravity would be the closest yet we are to a unifying theory - more possibly a theory of everything. Just my opinion.
    i still think string theory rules though :)

18. Jul 4, 2011 #17

that's a shame. i watched the TED talk that Lisi gave and it seemed quite awesome - though i'd add that i barley understood it (it would be helpful if i had some kind of link to a simple explanation of all the mathematics behind the E8 model). the theory seemed to be a theory of everything because (kind of like string theory) it tells us that all the fundamental particles in our universe are different manifestations of the same "particle". Am I right?

19. Jul 4, 2011 #18

wasn't the whole idea of the Lisi's E8 model that the standard model was incomplete because of the symmetries that exist in the various dimensions rotated in different ways. the standard model simply groups particles that we already know of. if there were many more fundamental particles, wouldn't the standard model be kind of wrong anyway?

20. Jul 4, 2011 #19

qsa

Lets say you manage the three generations, would your theory answer these questions anytime soon.

1. all couplings values and their relations and origin. That includes computing the behavior at all energies (and distances-up to edge of the universe if there is one(CC)). and if there is a physical cut-off or not.

2. the theory must predict particles with their masses explained.Inculding light and its clear interaction picture with matter.

3. What is charge exactly and how does the value come about.

4. the origin of Spin and entanglment.

5. how do particles behave in flight, like the double slit experiment.

6. The real source of the effect of relativity. That is of course includes what is Space and time. and what is vacuum made of.

7. the relation between all of the above.

8. the origin and the fate of the universe or(universes)

But Most of all what is existance made of, if not a mathematical imperative.

21. Jul 4, 2011 #20

garrett

Gold Member

mibaokula: Yes, more or less. Although the sm also includes some kind of Higgs mechanism, beyond the particles we strictly know of.

qsa: Yes, potentially. But that is a big presumption you're making. However, I'm already very happy with how E8 theory describes the charges and spin.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook