1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Prospective Physics Major - What kind of opportunities are out there?

1. May 3, 2009 #1
    I'm about to finish up all the available physics/math classes at my local community college, and I've decided I want to major in physics. As far as what field, I'm not sure yet. But in the meantime, I was wondering what kind of job opportunities are out there for somebody with a BS in physics? And about what the average pay is like? Basically what it boils down to is that I want to get some sort of steady job in the physics field that pays me enough to stay afloat while I finish up my schooling. Anything over 15/hr would great, as right now I'm in a dead-end retail job, so anything would be an improvement.

Also, about how much longer do you think I'd need until I could get a BS degree? I know these are questions more for a counselor, but I just want to get a general idea of what to expect. As far as what classes I've taken, I've taken the equivalent of a year of state-university physics(from kinematics to nuclear/particle physics) and I'll be finishing up Differential Equations this semester.

*Edit - Basically I know everything in this book https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0495112453

Thanks!

Oh, and I'd rather not teach. I know its something I'd be good at, but teachers honestly don't get the respect or pay they deserve. A lot of work for a small pay-out.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2009 #2
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook