1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proton electron mass ratio calculation

1. Oct 16, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hello! I've come upon this question and haven't been able to find it anywhere. The goal is to find Mp/Me with basis on the Bohr's atomic model and hydrogen emisson spectrum lines.

2. Relevant equations

l=rp=nh_ ; h_=h/2pi ; E=-K.e^2/2r ; r=(n^2.h_^2)/Me.e^2.k ; k=1/(4pi.ε0)

wave lengh for first line of Balmer series on the air= 656,279 nm

3. The attempt at a solution

My attempt was the following: I actually didn't use the spectral lines information cause I wasn't able to see how could they help me. So I used angular momentum quantification which leads to the equations above for E and r, but instead of using electromagnetic force between the proton and the electron I used the gravitational force between both. That led me to this: Me.Mp=2r.E/-G ; now, not only this gives Me.Mp instead of Mp/Me, but it also gives a wrong value of Me.Mp. ...

Hope someone can help me ^^
    Thx

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2011 #2
    Thanks for helping...

4. Oct 2, 2012 #3
    Could somebody point me in the right direction? An year has gone by and this question hits me again x) and I still can't solve it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook