Proton-proton inelastic cross section in MeV

In summary: There are lots of results in GeV, TeV. But I can not find the results in MeV in ENDF nor TENDL.https://www-nds.iaea.org/exfor/endf.htmftp://ftp.nrg.eu/pub/www/talys/tendl2011/proton_html/proton.htmlPlease advise me
flied
Dear Forum :
I'm looking for proton-proton inelastic cross section in MeV.
There are lots of results in GeV, TeV.
But I can not find the results in MeV in ENDF nor TENDL.
https://www-nds.iaea.org/exfor/endf.htm
ftp://ftp.nrg.eu/pub/www/talys/tendl2011/proton_html/proton.html
Please advise me
Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not familiar with the particular interaction. However I wonder if at those energies the only reaction is elastic sacattering?

Likes 1 person
The first inelastic collision via the strong force should be pion production at ~150 MeV, probably with a negligible cross-section at this energy.

p+p -> p+n+positron+antineutrino (or deuterium instead of p+n) would have a lower threshold, but as the process happens via the weak interaction the cross-section is completely negligible.

Likes 1 person
mfb said:
p+p -> p+n+positron+antineutrino (or deuterium instead of p+n) would have a lower threshold,
p+p -> d+positron+neutrino should have NO threshold, because it releases energy - but also a low cross-section because it is weak interaction.

But there should be some electromagnetic interaction inelastic collisions, because protons are charged.
p+p -> p+p+γ... whether the energy of the said photon is γ, x-ray, UV, visible, infrared or radio waves. How does the cross-section of braking radiation compare wit the cross-section for elastic collision?
Starting from threshold of 1022 keV, there will also be electromagnetic interaction of
p+p -> p+p+e-+e+
So in that region, how are the comparative cross-sections of elastic collision, braking radiation and pair production?

Likes 1 person
The question arose to me when I do a simulation on FLUKA,
there is inelastic scattering length 9.1E9 cm of proton-proton(H) in 10MeV.
9.1E9 cm which converting to 0.011mb.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gul3dibeqlgmmej/MeV10 Material.JPG
It is really small compare to other process or elastic scattering of p-p.
I just wonder where could I find other resource to compare with it ?

snorkack said:
p+p -> d+positron+neutrino should have NO threshold, because it releases energy - but also a low cross-section because it is weak interaction.
Right. But below the MeV scale you need long-range tunneling, and the cross-section gets even worse.
Completely negligible when you want to simulate processes in FLUKA.

But there should be some electromagnetic interaction inelastic collisions, because protons are charged.
I don't think they are called inelastic in high-energy physics, but that's probably just a question of definitions.

Starting from threshold of 1022 keV, there will also be electromagnetic interaction of
p+p -> p+p+e-+e+
Right. Again, should be completely negligible.I don't see 9.1E9 in this table, but this is scattering at hydrogen, not at protons. Ionization could count towards the value, or the result is just a relict of some extrapolation.

Likes 1 person
I'm sorry for 9.1E9cm, should be 0.16E+10 cm , converting to 0.11 mbarns.
Also, it should be hydrogen instead of proton.
However, is there other resources to compare ?

1. What is the meaning of "proton-proton inelastic cross section in MeV"?

The proton-proton inelastic cross section in MeV refers to the measurement of the probability of interaction between two protons when they collide with each other at a given energy level. This is often expressed in terms of energy in MeV (megaelectronvolts) because it is a unit that is commonly used in particle physics.

2. How is the proton-proton inelastic cross section in MeV calculated?

The calculation of the proton-proton inelastic cross section in MeV involves using mathematical formulas and experimental data to determine the likelihood of proton-proton interactions at different energy levels. This can also be determined through particle accelerator experiments and simulations.

3. What does the proton-proton inelastic cross section in MeV tell us about subatomic particles?

The proton-proton inelastic cross section in MeV provides important information about the properties and behavior of subatomic particles. It can help scientists understand the structure of protons and how they interact with each other, as well as provide insights into the fundamental forces that govern the behavior of particles at the subatomic level.

4. Why is the proton-proton inelastic cross section in MeV important in nuclear physics?

The proton-proton inelastic cross section in MeV is important in nuclear physics because it is used to study the behavior of particles in the nucleus and their interactions with each other. This information is crucial for understanding the properties of nuclear matter and for developing nuclear technologies.

5. Can the proton-proton inelastic cross section in MeV change over time?

Yes, the proton-proton inelastic cross section in MeV can change over time as scientists continue to conduct experiments and gather new data. As our understanding of subatomic particles and their interactions improves, the calculated cross section may also be refined to reflect new findings and theories.