• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Prove 3x3 Skew symmetric matrix determinant is equal to zero

• Thread starter Bill333
  • Start date

Homework Statement

Hi there,

I'm happy with the proof that any odd ordered matrix's determinant is equal to zero. However, I am failing to see how it can be done specifically for a 3x3 matrix using only row and column interchanging.

Homework Equations

I have attached the determinant as an image
Picture1.png

The Attempt at a Solution

So my attempt was to try and collect a row of zeros via interchanging rows/columns. However it seems to be me that trying to move a zero into position by moving its row/column then affects the row/column containing another zero and so I can't ever get them into the same row.

Answers and Replies

Ray Vickson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Dearly Missed

Homework Statement

Hi there,

I'm happy with the proof that any odd ordered matrix's determinant is equal to zero. However, I am failing to see how it can be done specifically for a 3x3 matrix using only row and column interchanging.

Homework Equations

I have attached the determinant as an image
View attachment 102053

The Attempt at a Solution

So my attempt was to try and collect a row of zeros via interchanging rows/columns. However it seems to be me that trying to move a zero into position by moving its row/column then affects the row/column containing another zero and so I can't ever get them into the same row.
Write it out in detail, using
http://www.coolmath.com/algebra/14-determinants-cramers-rule/02-determinants-3x3-method-1-03

Why not just evaluate the determinant directly? Since it is specifically a 3 by 3 matrix?

But if you really want to do it using the invariant operations, you need an additional one for this example apart from basic row or column interchanging - the determinant doesn't change when you add a multiple of a column/row to another.

Thank you for your replies; the question stipulated not to find the determinant directly, and gave a hint concerning the interchanging of rows and columns; I presumed that it did not mean use addition of rows and columns. Fightfish, to clarify, are you saying it is impossible to complete using only row and column swaps?

I attach the question; it is number 9. I was wondering if it could be applied more generally.
IMG_2720.JPG

Call your matrix of problem 9 (in image) A. If you can apply row or column switches to get from |A| to -|AT, then the determinant is equal to 0.

In other words, if you can do this |A| = -|A1| = |A2| = ... -|AT|, then you're almost done. (Here the A1, A2, and so on are the different matrices you get from the row/column operations.) The reason is that a matrix and its transpose have the same determinant, so if |A| = k, a nonzero number, and -|AT| = k, then k has to be zero.

Now, as far as getting from |A| to |AT|, I have no idea which row/column switcheroos might produce this, but I believe that's the direction they're leading you.
"The details are left to the reader."

Do you have to use only row and column operations? If not, a simple way to do this would be to recognize that since ##A## is skew-symmetric then ##A = -A^t##, so ##\det(A) = \det(-A^t) = (-1)^3 \det(A^t) = -\det(A^t)##. Now show that the determinant of ##A^t## vanishes, which completes your proof.