What is the derivative of a skew symmetric matrix?

In summary, the conversation revolves around proving that the derivative of a rotation matrix is a skew symmetric matrix multiplied by that rotation matrix, specifically using Rodrigues' formula. The conversation also touches on the derivative of a skew symmetric matrix and the parameters involved in the rotation matrix.
Musa00098

Homework Statement

Need to prove that the derivative of a rotation matrix is a skew symmetric matrix muktiplied by that rotation matrix. Specifically applying it on the Rodrigues’ formula.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have shown that the cubed of the skew symmetric matrix is equal to the opposite of the skew symmetric matrix. I;m supposed to use this to finish the proof of the above problem. But I get to a point where I have something like the skew matrix multiplied by sin, so I'm thinking of just doing the product rule here but I'm unsure what the derivative of the skew matrix is. I went with "derivative of skew symmetric matrix is a skew symmetric matrix" but that didn't work out

Physics news on Phys.org
Derivative with respect to what? In order to have a derivative at all there must be one or more parameters that the object depends on.

So the rotation matrix is R, rotated about an arbritrary axis k, and the rotation angle is theta. The derivative is with respect to theta. Here let me write the Rodrigues formula the best I can on my phone:

R(k, theta) = I + {u}*sin(theta) + {u}^2 * (1-cos(theta))

Where I is the identity matrix and {u} is a skew symmetric matrix, which would have the form of something like this:

{u} = [0 -z y; z 0 -x; -y x 0]

So I need to take the derivative of the rotation matrix R and show that it equals {u}*R

Last edited by a moderator:
Weird, apparently (open bracket) u (close bracket) isn't showing up in my post, so I switched it to {u}

Musa00098 said:
Weird, apparently (open bracket) u (close bracket) isn't showing up in my post, so I switched it to {u}
This is because [u] is interpreted by a browser as the starting underscore tag -- the browser consumes this special character, which is why it seemed to disappear, and also why so much of your post was underscored.

I fixed your previous post, but you should take a look at it again to see if it says what you meant.

1. What is a skew symmetric matrix?

A skew symmetric matrix is a square matrix in which the elements on the main diagonal are all equal to 0, and the elements above the main diagonal are equal to the negative of the corresponding elements below the main diagonal.

2. What is the significance of a skew symmetric matrix in mathematics?

Skew symmetric matrices are important in mathematics because they have special properties that make them useful in various applications, such as in physics, engineering, and computer graphics. They also have a close relationship with the concept of cross products and can be used to represent rotations in 3D space.

3. What is the general form of a skew symmetric matrix?

The general form of a skew symmetric matrix is:
[0 -a c]
[a 0 -b]
[-c b 0]
where a, b, and c are real numbers.

4. How is the derivative of a skew symmetric matrix calculated?

The derivative of a skew symmetric matrix is calculated using the same rules as for any other matrix. The derivative of each element in the matrix is taken separately, and the result is a new matrix with the derivatives of each element. However, since the main diagonal of a skew symmetric matrix is always 0, the derivative of these elements will also be 0.

5. What is the application of the derivative of a skew symmetric matrix in real-world problems?

The derivative of a skew symmetric matrix is useful in solving optimization problems, such as finding the maximum or minimum values of a function. It is also used in various engineering and scientific fields, such as robotics, computer vision, and control theory, to model and analyze systems with rotational components.