Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Prove a subgroup of G/H X G/K is isomorphic to G/(H intersect K)

1. Nov 6, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Suppose H and K are normal subgroups of G. Prove that G/H x G/K has a subgroup isomorphic to G/(H[itex]\cap[/itex]K)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I was trying to find a homomorphism from G to G/H x G/K where G/(H[itex]\cap[/itex]K) is the kernal. Maybe something like if g is in H it getts mapped to (Hg, e), but nothing like that worked. I'm really stuck on this one.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2012 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That doesn't make any sense, because [itex]G/(H \cap K)[/itex] is not a subgroup of [itex]G[/itex]. What you need is a homomorphism with kernel [itex]H \cap K[/itex].

Assuming you're working with right cosets, the natural homomorphism from G to G/H is [itex]g \mapsto Hg[/itex], and the natural homomorphism from G to G/K is [itex]g \mapsto Kg[/itex]. Can you use these to construct a homomorphism from G to G/H x G/K?

4. Nov 7, 2012 #3
    Right. Thanks, that is what I meant. So g↦ (Hg, Kg) is a homomorphism and that's easy to prove. Also H∩K will be the kernal. If I'm not mistaken, I just need to show that {Hg x Kg} is a subgroup of G/H x G/K and then the homomorphism will be onto that subgroup by the way I defined it. Then G/(H∩K) is isomorphic to {Hg x Kg}

Thanks for your help.

5. Nov 7, 2012 #4

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No need to do that - surely you have encountered the theorem that the image of a homomorphism is always a subgroup. If not, it's easy to prove - easier than trying to show it for a specific case like this one.

By the way, I understand what you mean by your notation, {Hg x Kg}, but I don't think it's very good notation. I would suggest writing something like [itex]\{(Hg, Kg) : g \in G\}[/itex].

6. Nov 7, 2012 #5
    Another question: have you seen the isomorphism theorems yet?? They might come in handy.

7. Nov 8, 2012 #6

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I have been implicitly assuming that he has the first isomorphism theorem available. Avatarjoe, is that a valid assumption?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook