1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove a subgroup of G/H X G/K is isomorphic to G/(H intersect K)

1. Nov 6, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Suppose H and K are normal subgroups of G. Prove that G/H x G/K has a subgroup isomorphic to G/(H[itex]\cap[/itex]K)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I was trying to find a homomorphism from G to G/H x G/K where G/(H[itex]\cap[/itex]K) is the kernal. Maybe something like if g is in H it getts mapped to (Hg, e), but nothing like that worked. I'm really stuck on this one.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2012 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That doesn't make any sense, because [itex]G/(H \cap K)[/itex] is not a subgroup of [itex]G[/itex]. What you need is a homomorphism with kernel [itex]H \cap K[/itex].

Assuming you're working with right cosets, the natural homomorphism from G to G/H is [itex]g \mapsto Hg[/itex], and the natural homomorphism from G to G/K is [itex]g \mapsto Kg[/itex]. Can you use these to construct a homomorphism from G to G/H x G/K?

4. Nov 7, 2012 #3
    Right. Thanks, that is what I meant. So g↦ (Hg, Kg) is a homomorphism and that's easy to prove. Also H∩K will be the kernal. If I'm not mistaken, I just need to show that {Hg x Kg} is a subgroup of G/H x G/K and then the homomorphism will be onto that subgroup by the way I defined it. Then G/(H∩K) is isomorphic to {Hg x Kg}

Thanks for your help.

5. Nov 7, 2012 #4

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No need to do that - surely you have encountered the theorem that the image of a homomorphism is always a subgroup. If not, it's easy to prove - easier than trying to show it for a specific case like this one.

By the way, I understand what you mean by your notation, {Hg x Kg}, but I don't think it's very good notation. I would suggest writing something like [itex]\{(Hg, Kg) : g \in G\}[/itex].

6. Nov 7, 2012 #5

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Another question: have you seen the isomorphism theorems yet?? They might come in handy.

7. Nov 8, 2012 #6

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I have been implicitly assuming that he has the first isomorphism theorem available. Avatarjoe, is that a valid assumption?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook