Prove AB and BA have the same characteristic polynomial

In summary, for any square matrices A and B of the same size, the characteristic polynomial of AB and BA are the same. This can be proven by taking A = A + \epsilon I and using the similarity argument. By taking \epsilon \rightarrow 0, we can use the continuity of polynomials to show that the limit of P(\epsilon, \lambda) is equal to the characteristic polynomial of both AB and BA. This is possible because the entities on either side of the equation are multivariate polynomials with respect to epsilon and lambda. Thus, the characteristic polynomial of AB and BA are equivalent.
IniquiTrance

Homework Statement

Show that for any square matrices of the same size, A, B, that AB and BA have the same characteristic polynomial.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand how to do this if either A or B is invertible, since they would be similar then. I saw a proof that states to take [itex]A = A + \epsilon I[/itex], so that [itex]det(A+\epsilon I) \neq 0[/itex], and then we have,

[tex] det \left((A+\epsilon I) B - \lambda I \right) = det \left((B(A+\epsilon I) - \lambda I\right)[/tex]

Since then we can use the similarity argument. We then take [itex]\epsilon\rightarrow 0[/itex].

I'm wondering if someone could please provide an accessible, but sound explanation of why we are allowed to use this [itex]\epsilon \rightarrow 0 [/itex] argument.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you see that the entities on either side of the equation are multivariate polynomials with respect to epsilon and lambda?

Hmm, somewhat. Could you please provide greater insight?

IniquiTrance said:
Hmm, somewhat. Could you please provide greater insight?

"Somewhat" is not good. If you really don't see it, take a simple 2x2 case and work it out.

If you do see that, then what do you know of continuity of polynomials? What is [itex]\lim_{\epsilon \rightarrow 0} P(\epsilon, \lambda)[/itex], if [itex]P(\epsilon, \lambda)[/itex] is a polynomial?

Hmm are you sure that's the right question? A would need some inverse C such that :

C-1AC = B

Then you could start by saying :

pB(λ) = det(B-λIn)

Then you should use what you know about B and the identity matrix In to massage the expression into pA(λ) [ Hint : Think about inverses and how they work! ]

1. How do you prove that AB and BA have the same characteristic polynomial?

To prove that AB and BA have the same characteristic polynomial, we need to show that they have the same eigenvalues. This can be done by showing that they have the same determinant, trace, and rank.

2. What is a characteristic polynomial?

A characteristic polynomial is a polynomial that is associated with a square matrix. It is used to find the eigenvalues of the matrix, which are the values that satisfy the equation Ax = λx.

3. Why is it important to prove that AB and BA have the same characteristic polynomial?

It is important to prove that AB and BA have the same characteristic polynomial because it allows us to simplify calculations involving matrices. It also helps us understand the relationship between matrix multiplication and eigenvalues.

4. Can AB and BA have different characteristic polynomials?

No, AB and BA cannot have different characteristic polynomials. This is because the characteristic polynomial of a matrix only depends on its eigenvalues, which are the same for both AB and BA.

5. What are some applications of proving that AB and BA have the same characteristic polynomial?

Proving that AB and BA have the same characteristic polynomial is useful in various fields of science and mathematics, such as linear algebra, physics, and computer science. It can be used to solve systems of linear equations, model physical systems, and optimize algorithms for matrix multiplication.