Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove Euler Identity without using Euler Formula

1. Nov 14, 2008 #1
    Is it possible to prove Euler's identity (e^i*pi = -1) without simply taking it as a special case of Euler's formula (e^i*x = cos(x) + i sin(x))?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2008 #2
    You can derive Euler's equation by Taylor expanding e^ix.

Collecting the odd powers of x will give you the Taylor expansion of i sin(x).

Collecting the even powers of x will give you the Taylor expansion of cos(x).

Setting x=pi gets you what you want.

4. Nov 14, 2008 #3
    That's all fine and good but its not what I asked. The purpose was to derive Euler's Identity without using Euler's formula.

5. Nov 14, 2008 #4
    never mind

6. Nov 14, 2008 #5
    Hey no problem. I figured chances are someone would post that anyways.

7. Nov 14, 2008 #6
    Thanks for being so gracious. I scibbled out a few things.

It's a blunt approach, but if you can prove these two series converge...

[tex]1 - \frac{\pi^2}{2!} + \frac{\pi^4}{4!} - ... \rightarrow -1[/tex]
    and
    [tex]\pi - \frac{\pi^3}{3!} + \frac{\pi^5}{5!} - ... \rightarrow 0[/tex]

8. Nov 15, 2008 #7

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

this seems trivial: e^(x+y) = e^x e^y, so 1 = e^0 = e^ipi e^(-ipi) = e^(ipi)/ e^ipi, oops, anything satisfies this.

well you could use the uniqueness theorem for diff eq's.

or say that e^(inpi) = pooey.

9. Nov 15, 2008 #8
    One question: how do you define the complex exponential, in the first place? (Without using Euler's formula).

If it is defined as a Taylor series, then there's no way but to start with one, I think.

10. Nov 15, 2008 #9
    I tend to like defining it by the differential equation f' = f, f(0) = 1, though I dont want to limit myself to that if other definitions are fruitful.

11. Nov 15, 2008 #10

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Well, that leads you directly to the series representation of the function, which then can be rearranged into Euler's formula, whereby your result is proven.

12. Nov 15, 2008 #11

gel

Using f(0)=1,f'=f its not hard to see that g(x)=exp(ix) gives a periodic function mapping R to S1={x in C: |x|=1}. If its period is L then g(L/2)=-1.

As pi is defined to be half the circumference of a unit circle in the Euclidean plane, then pi=L/2 follows almost by definition.

13. Nov 15, 2008 #12

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How do you know that |g(x)|=1? And I'm not sure I see why g(L/2)=-1 either.

14. Nov 15, 2008 #13

gel

You could use g'=ig, and, writing g(x)=u(x)+iv(x) gives u'=-v,v'=u. Then,
    [tex]
    \frac{d}{dx} |g|^2= \frac{d}{dx}(u^2+v^2)=2uu'+2vv'=-2uv+2vu=0.
    [/tex]

For, g(L/2)=-1, it seems obvious to me that if you go half way round a unit circle centered at the origin and starting at (1,0) takes you to (-1,0). With a bit of effort you can convert this to a rigorous argument.

Alternatively, to make things easier you can use g(x+y)=g(x)g(y). If L is the period then g(L/2)^2=g(L)=g(0)=1, so g(L/2) is either 1 or -1. You can rule out g(L/2)=1, because that would imply that g has period L/2 or smaller. So, g(L/2)=-1.

15. Nov 15, 2008 #14
    That's all fine and good but its not what I asked. The purpose was to derive Euler's Identity without using Euler's formula.

Awesome, thanks gel. I was thinking along these same lines at first but then switched strategies and didn't take it to the logical conclusion. It seemed like showing |g(x)|=1 would require assuming the Euler formula, but thankfully it does not as you have shown!

Last edited: Nov 15, 2008
  16. Nov 15, 2008 #15

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ahh.. of course. Clever!

I'm still not fully convinced. Is it easy to prove that g isn't multiply periodic? And is it actually immediate that g(L/2)=1 => g has period L/2 or smaller?

And I actually don't buy that it's obvious that L/2=pi - at least not without knowing that e^ix=cosx+isinx.

17. Nov 15, 2008 #16
    The result also shows g is unit speed. Take [itex]\frac{d}{dx}|g'(x)|^2 = \frac{d}{dx}|g(x)|^2 = 0[/itex] since g' = ig. Then g is a unit speed curve restricted to the unit circle.

18. Nov 15, 2008 #17

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm probably being especially dense... but so what?

19. Nov 15, 2008 #18
    We have that g is a unit speed parameterization of a simple closed curve of finite length. Isnt this sufficient to show that g is periodic and the period is the arc length of the curve?

20. Nov 15, 2008 #19

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's still dubious - at least to me.

In any case, Euler's formula is still there: g=u+iv, u'=-v, v'=u, u(0)=1, u'(0)=0.

21. Nov 15, 2008 #20

gel

yes, g is a "unit speed" parameterization of the unit circle. From that it follows that g(x+2pi)=g(x) and g(x+pi)=-g(x). Seems quite clear to me, and explains easily why g(pi)=-1.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook