Prove Evolute of Rectangular Hyperbola: x=a\cosh\theta, y=a\sinh\theta

  • Thread starter Thread starter John O' Meara
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
John O' Meara
Messages
325
Reaction score
0
Prove that the evolute of the rectangular hyperbola [tex]x=a\cosh\theta[/tex], [tex]y=a\sinh\theta[/tex] is [tex]x^{\frac{2}{3}} - y^{\frac{2}{3}}= (2a)^{\frac{2}{3}}\\[/tex].
Let (X,Y) be a pair of coordinates on the center of curvature (the evolute) of the hyperbola. [tex]X =x -\frac{y^{'}(1 + (y^')^2)}{y^{''}} \\[/tex] and [tex]Y = y-\frac{(1 + (y^')^2)}{y^{''}} \\[/tex], where [tex]y^{'}=\frac{dy}{dx} \\[/tex].
Now [tex]\frac{dx}{d\theta} = a sinh\theta[/tex], [tex]\frac{dy}{d\theta}=a cosh\theta \\[/tex]; therefore [tex]\frac{dy}{dx} = \coth\theta \\[/tex];
hence [tex]\frac{d^2y}{dx^2} = \frac{d \coth\theta}{d\theta}\frac{d\theta}{dx} =-\cosech^2\theta \frac{d\theta}{dx}\\[/tex].
Therefore [tex]y^{''} =-\frac{cosech^2 \theta}{a\sinh\theta}\\[/tex].
Therefore [tex]X = a\cosh\theta + a\cosh\theta(\sinh^2\theta + \cosh^2\theta)\\[/tex] and [tex]Y = a\sinh\theta + a\sinh\theta(\sinh^2\theta + \cosh^2\theta) \\[/tex].
Thest are the parametric equations of the evolute. How do I get the cartesian form of the equations for the evolute. I mean how do I eliminate [tex]\theta[/tex]. Thanks for the help.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Therefore I get [tex]x^{\frac{1}{3}} - y^{\frac{1}{3}} = (2a)^{\frac{1}{3}}((\cosh^3\theta)^{\frac{1}{3}} \\ - ( \sinh^{\frac{1}{3}}\theta + \sinh^3\theta)^{\frac{1}{3}}) \\[/tex] which gives [tex]x^{\frac{2}{3}} - y^{\frac{2}{3}} = (2a)^{\frac{2}{3}}( 1 - \sinh^{\frac{2}{3}}\theta)\\[/tex] Can anyone see where I went wrong? Thanks for the help.
 
John

There is a typo in the formula for Y above. It should be Y=y + etc. Then you get the required result.

Regards