1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove f-g is uniformly continuous

1. Mar 27, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let f, g : D→R be uniformly continuous. Prove that f-g: D→R is uniformly continuous aswell

2. Relevant equations

none

3. The attempt at a solution

Okay, I am posting this question because I want to make sure that my solution is correct and if it isn't I would really be thankful if someone pointed out its flaws.

My solution:

For all ε >0 there exists δ >0 s.t.

abs( x - y ) < δ => abs( f(x) - f(y)) <ε

then

abs( f(x) - f(y)) <ε/2

abs( g(x) - g(y)) <ε/2

now its f - g so

abs( f(x) - f(y) - g(x) + g(y)) < ε

abs( f(x) - f(y)) + abs( - g(x) + g(y)) < ε

abs( f(x) - f(y)) + abs(-1)*abs( +g(x) -g(y)) < ε

abs( f(x) - f(y)) + abs( +g(x) -g(y)) < ε

ε/2 + ε/2 <ε

ε ≤ ε

Also can anyone describe to me what uniformly continuous means besides from the actual definition. I have a hard time understanding what uniformly continuous means.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2013 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

How do you know the same ##\delta## works for both f and g?

4. Mar 27, 2013 #3
    Can't you just choose what ε and δ is?

It can have many values as long as its > 0. Right?

5. Mar 27, 2013 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No. ##\epsilon## is a given, presumably small, number. If you have a uniformly continuous function ##f##, that means that given any ##\epsilon > 0## there exists a ##\delta##, depending only on ##\epsilon## and not ##x## or ##y## such that if ##|x-y|<\delta##, then ##|f(x)-f(y)|<\epsilon##. You don't get to choose ##\delta## but you are guaranteed that there is one. A different function ##g## would normally need a different ##\delta## for the same ##\epsilon##.

There are other issues with your writeup, but first you have to figure out how you can get one ##\delta## that works for both ##f## and ##g##.

6. Mar 27, 2013 #5
    I'm going to take a few guesses.

1. What if both f and g are the same function then they would have the same δ and ε values.

2. Because they are both uniformly continuous.

3. Because I am picking the same ε for each function.

I have tried to understand the whole ε δ thing many times and although I think I kind of get it I don't think that I have a fundamental understanding of it.

Also, my professor just picked the same δ like I did for a similar problem. I do know that they don't have to be the same.

7. Mar 27, 2013 #6

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

They aren't, so that is irrelevant.
    No.
    No.
    Yes, I don't think you quite have it yet either. Think about my question like this. Suppose you have a ##\delta_1## that makes ##|f(x)-f(y)|< \epsilon## when ##|x-y|<\delta_1## and you also have a ##\delta_2## that makes ##|g(x)-g(y)|< \epsilon## when ##|x-y|<\delta_2##. Can you see how to make a ##\delta## from that that works for both?

8. Mar 28, 2013 #7
    Actually now that I'm looking at my professors notes more I do see that he indeed labeled δ1 and δ2 separately even though they are in the end the same.

So is there anything else wrong with my write up? I just turned in the homework yesterday and I will see what I get on this problem.

9. Mar 28, 2013 #8

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, they aren't the same. What you want is to to pick ##\delta_1## for ##f## and ##\delta_2## for ##g## so ##|f(x) - f(y)|< \frac \epsilon 2## when ##|x-y|<\delta_1## and ##|g(x) - g(y)|< \frac \epsilon 2## when ##|x-y|<\delta_2##. Then choose ##\delta = \text{min}\{\delta_1,\delta_2\}## so that when ##|x-y|<\delta## they both work.

Then in your writeup, you don't want to end up with ##\epsilon\le \epsilon##. After the above paragraph you want to say that if ##|x-y|<\delta## then$$
    |f(x)+g(x) - (f(y)+g(y))| \le ... < \epsilon$$where you fill in the dots with a string of inequalities similar to what you did write.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted