1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove, if p and q are distinct prime numbers

1. Jan 27, 2010 #1
    Prove, if p and q are distinct prime numbers, then sqrt(p/q) is irrational. I know how to prove that if p is a distinct prime number, then sqrt(p) is irrational. From there let sqrt(p) = q/r and then prove but for this I'm stuck. Do we let sqrt(p/q) = (a/b)/(c/d).Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2010 #2
    Re: proof

Assume not and that sqrt(p/q) is equal to a/b, for integers a, b and in lowest terms..
    Then you can say a2q = b2p. This implies that p divides a2q, but q is prime, so p divides a2. Since p is prime and divides a2=(a)(a), we know it divides a. So write a as a multiple of p and write out your equation and rearrange to isolate b2 (or b). Can you find a contradiction here?

4. Jan 27, 2010 #3

So from a2q = b2p which implies that p divides a2. I understand up to there but when you say write a as a multiple of p I get confused. Could you elaborate a little bit more on that? Thanks.

5. Jan 27, 2010 #4

If p divides a2 then p divides a (why? There is the famous fact that if p is prime and p divides ab then p divides a or p divides b).
    So since p divides a, we can write out a=pc for some integer c.
    Now, back to the original equation a2q = b2p
    a=pc implies that p2c2q = b2p
    Now, isolate b2 in this equation. Can you say anything about p dividing b here?

6. Jan 27, 2010 #5

Okay now I understand what you meant by multiple but where are you getting that famous fact from? Okay so now if we isolate b2 in this equation we will have
    b2 = pc2q and by taking the square root of both sides we'll have
    b = sqrt(pc2q) = csqrt(pq).

Why would p divide b?

7. Jan 27, 2010 #6

You have correctly isolated b2 but you do not need to reduce it.
    b2 = pc2q means that b2 is a multiple of p, which means that p divides b2.
    This implies that p divides b.
    Now p divides a AND p divides b, contradicting that a/b was in lowest terms.

The famous fact (that prime p divides ab implies p divides a or p divides b) will be in the first few chapters of any number theory book. Here is a link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euclid's_lemma. This fact is very important in number theory and even in group theory & ring theory so I would advise that you understand it.

8. Jan 27, 2010 #7

The reason your saying b2 is a multiple of p is because c/d = k and if we isolate c we get c = dk. So in this c is b2, d is p and k is c2q right?

also how do go from p dividing b2 to p dividing b? Thanks.

9. Jan 27, 2010 #8

You yourself found the equation b2 = pc2q, which is the same thing as b2 = p(c2q), which means that b2 is equal to p times something. It doesn't get much clearer than that.

b2 = bb and using the famous fact we see that p divides b.

10. Jan 27, 2010 #9

Okay for the first part kind of what I was saying that c = dk. It's like saying 12 = 6*k where k = 2 right? I know it's pretty clear but I just want to make sure I fully digest this stuff.

Okay now for p divides b2 because according to Euclid's lemma it must divide one of the factors right? Thanks. I really appreciate your help.

11. Jan 27, 2010 #10

Yup.

Yes. p is prime and divides bb so by the lemma it divides b.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook