Prove lim z->i ((z^2+i)/(z^4-1))=∞

• Thread starter thed0ctor
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses finding a readable solution to a complex equation without having to switch between tabs. The suggestion is made to use algebra of limits instead of trying to bound the expression by 1/N. The conversation then goes on to discuss splitting up the limit and finding an appropriate bound. However, there is a mistake in the final inequality and a better approach may be to use the definition of limits.
thed0ctor
Captura.PNG

Physics news on Phys.org
thed0ctor said:
Please, Give us something readable without us having to switch back & forth between tabs/windows.

attachment.php?attachmentid=50993&d=1348011229.png

Instead of trying to bound the expression above by 1/N, why not apply what you know about the algebra of limits?

[tex]\lim_{z \rightarrow i} \frac{(z + i)(z^2 - 1)(z - i)}{z^2 + i} = \frac{[\lim_{z \rightarrow i} (z + i)] [\lim_{z \rightarrow i} (z^2 - 1)][\lim_{z \rightarrow i} (z - i)]}{\lim_{z \rightarrow i} (z^2 + i)}[/tex]

This is valid provided that the limit in the denominator is nonzero.

If you can prove that the above limit is zero, then that implies your 1/N bound and you can proceed accordingly.

thed0ctor,

See what bound [itex]\displaystyle \left|z-i\right|<\frac{1}{2}[/itex] puts on [itex]\displaystyle \left|\frac{(z + i)(z^2 - 1)}{z^2 + i}\right|\ .[/itex]

jbunniii said:
Instead of trying to bound the expression above by 1/N, why not apply what you know about the algebra of limits?

[tex]\lim_{z \rightarrow i} \frac{(z + i)(z^2 - 1)(z - i)}{z^2 + i} = \frac{[\lim_{z \rightarrow i} (z + i)] [\lim_{z \rightarrow i} (z^2 - 1)][\lim_{z \rightarrow i} (z - i)]}{\lim_{z \rightarrow i} (z^2 + i)}[/tex]

This is valid provided that the limit in the denominator is nonzero.

If you can prove that the above limit is zero, then that implies your 1/N bound and you can proceed accordingly.

I wasn't 100% sure of how proving that limit equals zero would help but I did take your advice and broke the problem into several limits whose products are infinity.

SammyS said:
thed0ctor,

See what bound [itex]\displaystyle \left|z-i\right|<\frac{1}{2}[/itex] puts on [itex]\displaystyle \left|\frac{(z + i)(z^2 - 1)}{z^2 + i}\right|\ .[/itex]

I used the idea of bounding |z+i| by 3 by assuming delta was at most 1. I attached a pdf of my work. If someone could check it to make sure my logic is alright I'd be very grateful. I've just recently found out how epsilon and deltas work.

Attachments

• problem limit.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 334
thed0ctor said:
I used the idea of bounding |z+i| by 3 by assuming delta was at most 1. I attached a pdf of my work. If someone could check it to make sure my logic is alright I'd be very grateful. I've just recently found out how epsilon and deltas work.
[itex]\displaystyle \frac{-1+i}{\sqrt{2}}[/itex] is less that 1 unit from i on the complex plane, so δ = 1 is too large.

[itex]\displaystyle \left(\frac{-1+i}{\sqrt{2}}\right)^2=-i[/itex] giving division by zero for the denominator of z2 + i .

SammyS said:
[itex]\displaystyle \frac{-1+i}{\sqrt{2}}[/itex] is less that 1 unit from i on the complex plane, so δ = 1 is too large.

[itex]\displaystyle \left(\frac{-1+i}{\sqrt{2}}\right)^2=-i[/itex] giving division by zero for the denominator of z2 + i .

Sorry the last bit was meant to say

[tex]∴ \lim_{z \rightarrow i} \frac{z^2 + i}{z^4 -1} = ∞[/tex]
not:
[tex]∴ \lim_{z \rightarrow i} \frac{z^2 + i}{z^4 -i} = ∞[/tex]

Does this fix that issue? Because now I don't see the division by zero issue.

thed0ctor said:
Sorry the last bit was meant to say

[tex]∴ \lim_{z \rightarrow i} \frac{z^2 + i}{z^4 -1} = ∞[/tex]
not:
[tex]∴ \lim_{z \rightarrow i} \frac{z^2 + i}{z^4 -i} = ∞[/tex]

Does this fix that issue? Because now I don't see the division by zero issue.
That depends ...

Is it acceptable to split-up the limit as you did in the PDF file? If so, then the proof at the end is fine.

However, if you are to use the definition for the given expression, then your first attempt was a good start. The algebra may be pretty involved to find what the bound is, depending on what restriction you place on δ.

SammyS said:
That depends ...

Is it acceptable to split-up the limit as you did in the PDF file? If so, then the proof at the end is fine.

However, if you are to use the definition for the given expression, then your first attempt was a good start. The algebra may be pretty involved to find what the bound is, depending on what restriction you place on δ.

Good point. I also believe I found a bound. it's a nasty number but it's off the assumption that |z-i|< δ< .5

I attached the pdf. I think I'm getting better with inequalities. Thanks so much for your help thus far!

Attachments

• bounding.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 248
I just skimmed through your PDF and I think I found a problem.

You established that [itex]|z^2 + i| < 11/2[/itex] but then you applied this with [itex]|z^2 + i|[/itex] in the denominator. In that case, you need to reverse the inequality:

[tex]\frac{1}{|z^2 + i|} > \frac{1}{11/2}[/tex]
Therefore your final inequality is not correct.

If you want an upper bound for [itex]1/|z^2 + i|[/itex], then you need a LOWER bound for [itex]|z^2 + i|[/itex].

By the way, here's what I was getting at earlier in message #3. Suppose you have proved that

[tex]\lim_{z \rightarrow i} \frac{z^4 - 1}{z^2 + i} = 0[/tex]
Then this means, by definition, that given N > 0 there exists [itex]\delta > 0[/itex] such that
[tex]\left| \frac{z^4 - 1}{z^2 + i} \right| < \frac{1}{N}[/tex]
whenever [itex]0 < |z - i| < \delta[/itex]. But that's exactly what you need, right? (Just take the reciprocal of the above inequality.) Therefore the problem reduces to showing that
[tex]\lim_{z \rightarrow i} \frac{z^4 - 1}{z^2 + i} = 0[/tex]
and you can do this quite simply by using the algebra of limits (i.e., the limit of the quotient is the quotient of the limits), instead of playing around with all these inequalities.

Of course, if your instructor intends for you to do a full delta-epsilon proof for everything, then you should carry on doing that. It's hard to tell from the problem statement.

Last edited:

1. What does the notation "lim z->i" mean in this problem?

"lim" stands for limit and "z->i" means that the variable z is approaching the value of i. This notation is used to represent the behavior of a function as its input approaches a specific value.

2. How do you prove that the limit of this function is infinity?

To prove that the limit of a function is infinity, we need to show that for any large positive number M, we can find a positive number δ such that whenever the input value z is within δ of i, the output value of the function will be larger than M. This can be done through algebraic manipulation and using the definition of a limit.

3. Can this limit be proven using the epsilon-delta definition?

Yes, the limit can be proven using the epsilon-delta definition. This definition states that for any positive real number ε, we can find a positive real number δ such that whenever the input value z is within δ of i, the output value of the function will be within ε of infinity.

4. What is the significance of the function approaching infinity at z=i?

The significance of the function approaching infinity at z=i is that it means the function has a vertical asymptote at z=i. This indicates that the function has a singularity at z=i and the function values will become increasingly large as the input approaches i.

5. Are there any other ways to prove this limit besides using the epsilon-delta definition?

Yes, there are other ways to prove this limit. Some other common methods include using the Squeeze Theorem, the L'Hopital's Rule, or using the properties of limits such as the sum, difference, and product rules. It ultimately depends on the specific function and the tools available to the scientist.