1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove limit of improper Integral is 1

1. Mar 16, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show [tex]\mathop{\lim}\limits_{n \to \infty}(\frac{1}{n!}\int_{1}^{\infty}x^n\frac{1}{e^x} dx )=1[/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    The hint is that [tex]e=\mathop{\lim}\limits_{n \to \infty}\sum_{k=0}^{n}1/k![/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    First I wrote out the improper integral as limit of a proper integral. Then I tried to integrate by parts with u=x^n dv=e^-xdx...which eventually gets that proper integral to be [tex]1/e-b^n/e^b+n\int_{1}^{b}\frac{1}{e^x}x^(n-1)dx[/tex]

But even when I take limit b->infinity of this remaining integral either it's going to exist and be finite in which case when i take n->infinity it will be infinite or else it dosn't exist or is not finite in which case the original integral is not improperly integral. I tried using u=e^-x and dv=x^n with little success as well--did I make a mistake somewhere here?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2008 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi sinClair! :smile:

You haven't included the 1/n! :
    [tex]\frac{1/e-b^n/e^b}{n!}\,+\,\int_{1}^{b}\frac{x^{n-1}\,e^{-x}}{(n-1)!}dx[/tex]​

… and then you can keep doing it again … :smile:

4. Mar 17, 2008 #3
    Are you thinking that you just keep on integrating by parts and then that will yield a sum that will be e? I'm having trouble summing up the uv part of the integration... I mean when i do it again I get -b^n*e^-b+e^-1+n(-e^-b*b^n-1+e^-1+integral.....) this sums up...?

5. Mar 17, 2008 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi sinClair! :smile:

I haven't actually cheked it, but from:
    don't you eventually get something like
    [tex]e^{-1}\sum\frac{1}{n!}\,-\,e^{-b}\sum\frac{b^n}{n!}[/tex]​
    ? :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?