Prove log_2(m) is not an integer.

• Thread starter SithsNGiggles
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integer
In summary, to prove that \log_2{m} is not an integer when m is a positive integer with an odd divisor greater than 1, we can use proof by contradiction. If \log_2{m} were an integer, then m would be a power of 2. However, since m also has an odd divisor greater than 1, this contradicts the assumption that m is a power of 2. Therefore, \log_2{m} cannot be an integer.
SithsNGiggles

Homework Statement

Let [itex]m[/itex] be a positive integer that has an odd divisor greater than [itex]1[/itex]. Prove (by contradiction) that [itex]\log_2{m}[/itex] is not an integer.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure where to begin here. The book I'm working with provides a similar example, but it was more specific and straightforward than this one (prove [itex]\log_2{19}[/itex] isn't an integer).

I think I'm having the most trouble with grasping the part saying "m has an odd divisor greater than 1." How do I interpret that?

Physics news on Phys.org
SithsNGiggles said:
I think I'm having the most trouble with grasping the part saying "m has an odd divisor greater than 1." How do I interpret that?

m is divisible by an odd prime (since all odd numbers greater than 1 are either prime or products of odd primes).

"m has an odd divisor greater than 1" simply means that m is NOT a power of 2.
Given any number, we can factor out all factors of 2 to get the form [itex]2^n x[/itex] where x has no factors of 2 (and so is odd) and n is an integer. If x= 1, of course, that is a power of 2. If x> 1, it is not.

If [itex]y= log_2(m)[/itex] then [itex]m= 2^y[/itex]. If y were an integer, then m would be a power of 2.

pasmith said:
m is divisible by an odd prime (since all odd numbers greater than 1 are either prime or products of odd primes).

HallsofIvy said:
If [itex]y= log_2(m)[/itex] then [itex]m= 2^y[/itex]. If y were an integer, then m would be a power of 2.

Ah, I think I get it now. Here's the proof:

Assume [itex]\log_2{m}[/itex] is an integer. Let [itex]y = \log_2{m}[/itex].
Then, [itex]2^y = m[/itex].

Since [itex]y[/itex] is assumed to be an integer, [itex]m[/itex] is a power of 2. This contradicts the fact that [itex]m[/itex] has an odd divisor greater than 1. Therefore, [itex]\log_2{m}[/itex] is not an integer.

Thanks for the help!

1. How do you prove that log base 2 of m is not an integer?

To prove that log base 2 of m is not an integer, we can use the definition of logarithms. If log base 2 of m is an integer, then 2 raised to that power would equal m. However, if m is not a power of 2, then log base 2 of m will not be an integer.

2. Can you provide an example of a non-integer log base 2 value?

Yes, for example, log base 2 of 3 is approximately 1.58, which is not an integer.

3. What is the significance of proving that log base 2 of m is not an integer?

Proving that log base 2 of m is not an integer is important in understanding the properties of logarithms. It also has applications in various mathematical and scientific fields, such as computer science and signal processing.

4. Is there a formula for calculating log base 2 of m?

Yes, the formula for calculating log base 2 of m is log base 2 of m = log(m) / log(2). This can also be written as log base 2 of m = ln(m) / ln(2), where ln is the natural logarithm.

5. Can log base 2 of m be negative?

No, log base 2 of m cannot be negative. Logarithms only exist for positive numbers, so log base 2 of m can only be equal to or greater than 0.