1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove or disprove that subsets a and b of x and f:x->y f(f-1(a))=a

1. Sep 18, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Prove or disprove that for any non empty sets X and Y, any subset A of X, and f:X->Y, f(f^-1(A))=A

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that for x element of A f(x) = f(A) so x is an element of f^-1(f(A)). If I can assume f is injective then I can go from here but that's not given in the problem.....

Note that A is a subset of X not Y.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2009 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your first step is to state the problem clearly and correctly. Is A a subset of X or Y? For f^-1(A) to make sense, A must be a subset of Y. But in your solution attempt you have f(A) which would only make sense of A is a subset of X.

4. Sep 21, 2009 #3
    Yes, turns out there was a typo in the problem as it was given which explains the difficulty in solving it.

A is indeed a subset of Y which makes the statement f(f^-1(A)) true if the mapping is surjective but in the example

X={1,3,5} Y={2,4,6,8} f:X->Y = {(1,2),(3,4),(5,6)}

Where f is not onto and A = {8}, f^-1(A) = {empty}, f(f^-1(A)) = {empty} <> A

I think this is it.

Thank you

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook