Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove quadratic convergence and limit

1. May 19, 2008 #1

I have this problem that I simply cannot nail down. Please help.
    xi - fixed point of g, g is twice continuously differentiable in a vecinity of xi.

z(n+1) = g(g(z(n))) - [g(g(z(n))) - g(z(n))]^2 / [g(g(z(n))) - 2*g(z(n)) + z(n)]

Using taylor series expansion of g(z(n)) and g(g(z(n))) in a vecinity of xi I have to prove that xi is z's limit and that the convergence is quadratic.

Thank you for your help!

2. jcsd
  3. May 20, 2008 #2
    Interesting problem. I don't know a smart way to do it, so I just dive right in and calculate the series up to two terms around x_i (I won't bother to indicate the higher order terms):

g(z) = \frac{1}{2} g''\left(x_i\right) \left(z-x_i\right){}^2+g'\left(x_i\right) \left(z-x_i\right)+g\left(x_i\right)

g(g(z)) = \frac{1}{2} \left(g''\left(g\left(x_i\right)\right) g'\left(x_i\right){}^2+g'\left(g\left(x_i\right)\right) g''\left(x_i\right)\right)
    \left(z-x_i\right){}^2+g'\left(g\left(x_i\right)\right) g'\left(x_i\right) \left(z-x_i\right)+g\left(g\left(x_i\right)\right)

Now if we go ahead and replace these into your expression and use the fact that g(g(x_i) = g(x_i) = x_i we get the following for z_{n + 1}:

[tex]\frac{g''\left(x_i\right){}^2 \left(x_i-z\right){}^3+4 x_i \left(g'\left(x_i\right)-1\right){}^2+2 \left(z-x_i\right) \left(g'\left(x_i\right)-1\right) \left(2 x_i+z
    g'\left(x_i\right)\right) g''\left(x_i\right)}{4 \left(g'\left(x_i\right)-1\right){}^2+2 \left(z-x_i\right)
    \left(g'\left(x_i\right){}^2+g'\left(x_i\right)-2\right) g''\left(x_i\right)}

Note: I dropped the subscript z_n because of formatting problems with LaTeX in these forums.

I do not know how to simplify the expressions involving the derivatives, but maybe this is already to the point where simplifying into a particular form might make it easy to see the convergence.
    Last edited: May 20, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?