Prove scalar product of square-integrable functions

In summary, The given function defines a scalar product on the vector space of continuous, complex-valued functions on the interval [−∏, ∏]. To show this, you need to check the axioms of an inner product, which include (1), (2), and (3). The terms "scalar product" and "inner product" can be used interchangeably.
unscientific

Homework Statement

Consider the vector space of continuous, complex-valued functions on the interval [−∏, ∏]. Show that

defines a scalar product on this space. Are the following functions orthogonal with respect to this scalar product?

squareintegrablefunction.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Definition of scalar product: A scalar product is an operation that assigns a complex number to any given pair of vectors |a> and |b> belonging to a LVS.

Case 1: f(t) and g(t) are equal => integrand is real => scalar product is real
Case 2: f(t) and g(t) are not equal => integrand is complex => scalar product is complex

I'm not sure if this shows that the function is a scalar product. Is there a more mathematically rigorous way of showing it?

squareintegrablefunction2.png

Physics news on Phys.org
To be an inner product, you need to satisfy a few axioms. Which axioms? You need to check those.

micromass said:
To be an inner product, you need to satisfy a few axioms. Which axioms? You need to check those.

Are these the axioms that are required? What's the difference between a scalar product and an inner product?

tracescalarproduct2.png

Yes, you need to check (1), (2) and (3).

A scalar product is the same as an inner product. But I prefer the latter terminology. Sorry for the confusion.

Likes 1 person
micromass said:
Yes, you need to check (1), (2) and (3).

A scalar product is the same as an inner product. But I prefer the latter terminology. Sorry for the confusion.

If this operation is right, then yes it is an inner product.

squareintegrablefunction3.png

How do you prove that this is right? My idea is this:

Suppose the above integrand is a complex number that contains some 'i' s, and since the process of integration is only with respect to (t), the 'i' s are unaltered. Therefore, there is no difference in replacing all the 'i' s with '-i' s before or after the process of integration. (I like to think of it as the 'i' s in the integrand retains its symmetry)

Yes, what you say is correct.

1. What is the definition of a scalar product?

A scalar product is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors and produces a single scalar value. It is also known as an inner product and is often used to measure the angle between two vectors or to project one vector onto another.

2. How is a scalar product calculated?

The scalar product of two vectors can be calculated by multiplying their magnitudes and the cosine of the angle between them. This can be represented as A ⋅ B = |A| * |B| * cosθ, where A and B are the two vectors and θ is the angle between them.

3. What does it mean for a function to be square-integrable?

A function is square-integrable if its square is integrable over a given interval. In other words, the integral of the function squared is finite. This is a necessary condition for a function to have a well-defined scalar product with another function.

4. How do you prove the scalar product of two square-integrable functions?

To prove the scalar product of two square-integrable functions, you can use the definition of a scalar product and the properties of integrals. First, you will need to show that the integral of the product of the two functions is finite. Then, you can use the definition of a scalar product to show that the angle between the two functions is well-defined and that the cosine of the angle is also finite.

5. What are the applications of the scalar product of square-integrable functions?

The scalar product of square-integrable functions has many applications in mathematics and physics. It is commonly used in Fourier analysis, which is used in signal processing and image reconstruction. It is also used in quantum mechanics to calculate the probability of a particle being in a certain state. Additionally, it has applications in vector calculus, such as finding the work done by a force or calculating the directional derivative of a function.