1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove scalar product of square-integrable functions

1. Aug 2, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider the vector space of continuous, complex-valued functions on the interval [−∏, ∏]. Show that

defines a scalar product on this space. Are the following functions orthogonal with respect to this scalar product?

squareintegrablefunction.png

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Definition of scalar product: A scalar product is an operation that assigns a complex number to any given pair of vectors |a> and |b> belonging to a LVS.

Case 1: f(t) and g(t) are equal => integrand is real => scalar product is real
    Case 2: f(t) and g(t) are not equal => integrand is complex => scalar product is complex

I'm not sure if this shows that the function is a scalar product. Is there a more mathematically rigorous way of showing it?

squareintegrablefunction2.png

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 2, 2013 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

To be an inner product, you need to satisfy a few axioms. Which axioms? You need to check those.

4. Aug 2, 2013 #3
    Are these the axioms that are required? What's the difference between a scalar product and an inner product?

tracescalarproduct2.png

5. Aug 2, 2013 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Yes, you need to check (1), (2) and (3).

A scalar product is the same as an inner product. But I prefer the latter terminology. Sorry for the confusion.

6. Aug 2, 2013 #5
    If this operation is right, then yes it is an inner product.

squareintegrablefunction3.png

How do you prove that this is right? My idea is this:

Suppose the above integrand is a complex number that contains some 'i' s, and since the process of integration is only with respect to (t), the 'i' s are unaltered. Therefore, there is no difference in replacing all the 'i' s with '-i' s before or after the process of integration. (I like to think of it as the 'i' s in the integrand retains its symmetry)

7. Aug 2, 2013 #6

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Yes, what you say is correct.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted