1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Line Integral Notation wrt Scalar Value function

1. Jul 25, 2017 #1
    I'm getting a bit confused by the specific notation in the question and am unsure what exactly it is asking here/how to proceed.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given a scalar function ##f## find (a) ##∫f \vec {dl}## and (b) ##∫fdl##
    along a straight line from ##(0, 0, 0)## to ##(1, 1, 0)##.

2. Relevant equations
    ##f(x,y,z) = 12xy + z##
    ##\vec {dl} = (\vec {dx},\vec {dy},\vec {dz})##
    3. The attempt at a solution

So what i'm mainly confused about is with part a, I can't seem to understand what it's referring to thus don't know how to go about starting the integral.

Is it implying that I need to parametricize the scalar function and then take the integral wrt to dl, treating it like a vector valued function approaching it with the dot product like this $$u = f(x,y,z) = 12xy + z , v = y , w = z $$ resulting in the vector function $$\vec {r}(u,v,w) = (12xy + z) \hat {\mathbf i} + y \hat {\mathbf j} + z \hat {\mathbf k} $$ with the parametrization of $$\vec {r}(t) = (t,t,0)$$ resulting in this integral $$\int (12t^2,t,0)⋅(1,1,0) dt$$

or
    am I overthinking this and i'm simply looking find the line integral over each of the differential components like this: $$\int f \vec{dl} = \int f {\mathbf dx} \hat {\mathbf i} + \int f {\mathbf dy} \hat {\mathbf j} + \int f {\mathbf dz} \hat {\mathbf k}$$

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 25, 2017 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Neither.
    I can rule out your first option because f is a scalar, so the integral must be a vector.
    Your second option overlooks the interaction between x and y in the computation of f.

Parameterise the path from (0,0,0) to (1,1,0) and write f and ##\vec{dl}## in terms of that parameter.

4. Jul 26, 2017 #3
    So since the parametrized path is ##\vec r(t) = t \hat i + t \hat j + 0 \hat k##, is the correct path to take then to evaluate the integral like so
    $$\int f(x,y,z) \vec {dl} = \int_0^1 f(x(t),y(t),z(t))(\vec {dx} \hat i + \vec {dy} \hat j +\vec {dz} \hat k)$$
    $$= \int_0^1 (12t^2)x'(t)dt \hat i + \int_0^1 (12t^2)y'(t)dt \hat j + \int_0^1 (12t^2)z'(t)dt \hat k ,$$ where $$(x'(t),y'(t),z'(t)) = (1,1,0)$$ ?

5. Jul 26, 2017 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted