Prove Summation Property: \displaystyle\sum\limits_{i=1}^n aij

  • Thread starter Thread starter -Dragoon-
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Proof Summation
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
-Dragoon-
Messages
308
Reaction score
7

Homework Statement


Show that the summation notation satisfies the following property:
[itex]\displaystyle\sum\limits_{i=1}^n(\displaystyle\sum\limits_{j=1}^m aij) = \displaystyle\sum\limits_{j=1}^m(\displaystyle\sum\limits_{i=1}^n aij)[/itex]

Homework Equations


N/A


The Attempt at a Solution


[itex]\displaystyle\sum\limits_{i=1}^n(\displaystyle\sum\limits_{j=1}^m aij) = \displaystyle\sum\limits_{i=1}^n ai_{1} + \displaystyle\sum\limits_{i=1}^n ai_{2} + ... +\displaystyle\sum\limits_{i=1}^n ai_{n} = \displaystyle\sum\limits_{j=1}^m(\displaystyle\sum\limits_{i=1}^n aij)[/itex]

Have I proven this sufficiently or have I skipped a step? If I skipped a step, which one was it? Thanks in advance.
 
Physics news on Phys.org

Homework Statement


Show that the summation notation satisfies the following property: [tex]\sum_{i=1}^n\bigg(\sum_{j=1}^m a_{ij}\bigg) = \sum_{j=1}^m\bigg(\sum_{i=1}^n a_{ij}\bigg)[/tex]

Homework Equations


N/A

The Attempt at a Solution


[tex]\sum_{i=1}^n\bigg(\sum_{j=1}^m a_{ij}\bigg) = \sum_{i=1}^n a_{i1} + \sum\limits_{i=1}^n a_{i2} + \cdots +\sum_{i=1}^n a_{im} = \sum_{j=1}^m\bigg(\sum_{i=1}^n a_{ij}\bigg)[/tex]
I would at least have written out the step [tex]\sum_{i=1}^n(a_{i1}+\cdots+a_{im})=\sum_{i=1}^n a_{i1} + \sum\limits_{i=1}^n a_{i2} + \cdots +\sum_{i=1}^n a_{im}.[/tex] If you want to do these things rigorously, you need to avoid the ... notation and use induction.

If you use tex tags instead of itex, you don't need to type "displaystyle" all the time. (Use tex tags only when you want the math to appear on a separate line). Hit the quote button to see how I prefer to type the math above.
 
Fredrik said:
I would at least have written out the step [tex]\sum_{i=1}^n(a_{i1}+\cdots+a_{im})=\sum_{i=1}^n a_{i1} + \sum\limits_{i=1}^n a_{i2} + \cdots +\sum_{i=1}^n a_{im}.[/tex] If you want to do these things rigorously, you need to avoid the ... notation and use induction.

If you use tex tags instead of itex, you don't need to type "displaystyle" all the time. (Use tex tags only when you want the math to appear on a separate line). Hit the quote button to see how I prefer to type the math above.
Thank you for the help and the tex tips, Fredrik.