1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove that a nonempty finite contains its Supremum

1. Sep 30, 2012 #1
    Prove that a nonempty finite [itex]S\,\subseteq\,\mathbb{R}[/itex] contains its Supremum.

If S is a finite subset of ℝ less than or equal to ℝ, then ∃ a value "t" belonging to S such that t ≥ s where s ∈ S.

This is the only way I see to prove it, I hope your help :))

Regards

Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2012 #2
    What does it mean for a subset S to be less than or equal to ℝ? [Markup note: to the right there's a box full of handy symbols. You can just click on ℝ and you don't need LaTeX]

And why doesn't your proof work is S is infinite? Why doesn't t exist in that case? What is is about the finite case that makes this work?

4. Sep 30, 2012 #3

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If S is finite, the largest member can be found in a finite number of steps using pairwise comparisons.

When S is infinite, this may not be possible.

5. Sep 30, 2012 #4
    That's true, but hardly on point for the OP's question. By your reasoning, we'd be hard-pressed to show that [0,1] contains its sup, since computationally we'd have to do uncountably many comparisons.

OP is asking a real analysis question, not a computability theory question.

6. Sep 30, 2012 #5
    this is an exercise in a book of mathematical analysis, as there are no solutions wondered to know what is the correct ration.

7. Sep 30, 2012 #6
    The answer is that a finite set of reals always contains its max. If you need to prove that from the real number axioms you can note that for any two distinct reals a and b, either a < b or b < a. In either case the max exists.

[Oh! LOL now I understand mathman's remark. It went over my head the first time. My apologies!]

So you can prove that the max of two numbers exists; and by induction you can prove that the max of n numbers exists. That was mathman's point.

Just look at examples. Any finite set of real numbers has a largest element.

8. Oct 1, 2012 #7
    thank you very much to everyone who have helped me :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook