Prove that if A and B are sets, then (A - B) U B = A U B

  • Thread starter Thread starter leo255
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Sets
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 5K views
leo255
Messages
57
Reaction score
2

Homework Statement



Prove that if A and B are sets, then (A - B) U B = A U B

I think I might be missing a few steps here.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution



(A - B) U B =

1. (A ^ ~B) U B =

2. (A ^ ~B) U (A ^ B) =

3. A U B
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Leo:

I think that whether a step is "missing" or not depends on what your teacher expects.
Hint:
(W ^ X) U (Y ^ Z) = ((W U Y) ^ (X U Y)) U ((W U Z) ^ (X U Z))
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: leo255
Issue with step 1 to 2: When I'm in ##B##, but not in ##A##, I'm in set (1) but not in set (2).
Issue with step 2 to 3: Set (2) is simply equal to ##A##, which may be smaller than set (3).

I recommend you do not try to "rewrite" the sets, but instead prove two inclusions: First take an arbitrary ##x \in (A - B) \cup B## and argue step by step why it is then in ##A \cup B##. Then take an arbitrary ##x \in A \cup B## and argue why it is in ##(A - B) \cup B##.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: leo255