1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove that if X is countable and a is in X then X \{a} is countable.

1. Mar 8, 2012 #1
    Hi,

Can someone please help me with this problem.
    Prove that if X is countable and a is in X then X \{a} is countable.

this is what I have so far, and I am not sure if its correct:

Every non-empty set of natural numbers has a least number. Since X is not a finite set, X must be an infinite set and thus X is nonempty in N. Suppose a in X is the least element. Now consider X\{a} Since X is infinite, X\{a} is an infinite subset of N. Then there is a least element a2 in X\{a}....

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2012 #2
    I would go about it this way: If X is countable, then there exists a subset of the natural numbers, say S, such that the cardinality of set S, call it r, is equal to the cardinality of set X. The set {a} has a cardinality of 1, so the cardinality of X\{a} is equal to r - 1 = n (some natural number, since we know X is nonempty). Then there exists a set S' such that its cardinality is equal to n, and therefore we have that X\{a} is countable.

Perhaps I have left out some important information; I am not as smart as some of the people on here. I am only trying to help. Hopefully someone can support or refute my ideas here.

4. Mar 8, 2012 #3
    A subset of countable set is countable. Since
    [tex]X\setminus\{a\}\subseteq X[/tex]

we have that [itex]X\setminus\{a\}[/itex] is countable. So try proving first that any subset of a countable set is countable

5. Mar 9, 2012 #4
    so,is this correct

let x be countable set and x\{a} is subset of X

if x\{a} is finite it is countable

assume it is infinite then the function f : x|{a} ----> x defined by f(x0=x is 1-1 therefore x\{a} is countable

Also, can someone help me to prove or give a counter example is sum ai and sum bi are convergent series with non-negative terms then sum aibi converges

6. Mar 9, 2012 #5
    Let A be a subset of a countable set B. By the definition of a countable set, there exists a one-to-one function f : B→N. Now restrict the domain of f to A to give a new function
    g : A→N. g is one-to-one too because f is. So g is a one-to-one function that maps A into N. Thus A is countable

and start new thread for new problem

7. Mar 9, 2012 #6
    thank you

8. Mar 9, 2012 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You are assuming that X is a subset of N and that is not given. All you are given is that X is countable- the set of all integers is countable, the set of all rational numbers is countable, .... Of course, if X is countable, there exist a one-to-one correspondence between X and the natural numbers.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook