Countably Compact: Necessity & Sufficiency

• Thread starter Bashyboy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Compact
In summary, the conversation discusses the proof that a topological space ##X## is countably compact if and only if every nested sequence ##C_1 \supset C_2 \supset ...## of closed nonempty sets of ##X## has a nonempty intersection. The proof involves considering a countable open cover of ##X## with no finite subcover and a nested sequence of nonempty closed sets whose intersection is empty. By contradiction, it is shown that this leads to a contradiction, proving the statement.
Bashyboy

Homework Statement

Show that ##X## is countably compact if and only if every nested sequence ##C_1 \supset C_2 \supset ...## of closed nonempty sets of ##X## has a nonempty intersection.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Suppose that ##X## is not countably compact. Then there exists a countable open cover ##\{U_n\}## of ##X## that has no finite subcover. Consider the collection of closed sets ##C_n = X - (U_1 \cup ... \cup U_n)##; If ##x \in C_{n+1}##, then ##x \in X-U_i## for every ##i=1,...,n+1##, so in particular ##x \in X-U_i## for ##i=1,...,n##. Moreover, this collection consists entirely of nonempty sets, for if ##C_n =X - (U_1 \cup ... \cup U_n)## were empty, then we would have a finite subcover. Hence, ##\{C_n\}## is a nested sequence of closed nonempty sets. By way of contradiction, suppose that the intersection is nonempty. Then ##x \in X - (U_1 \cup ... \cup U_n)## for every ##n##. Since ##\{U_n\}## is a cover, ##x## must be in ##\bigcup U_i##, which implies there exists a ##k## such that ##x \in U_k \subseteq U_1 \cup ... \cup U_k##. This contradicts the fact that ##x \in X - (U_1 \cup ... \cup U_k)##. Hence, the intersection has to be empty.Now, suppose that there exists a nested sequence ##\{C_i\}## of nonempty closed sets whose intersection is empty. Then ##U_i = X-C_i## forms a collection of open sets, and since ##\bigcup U_i = \bigcup (X-C_i) = X - \cap C_i = X - \emptyset = X##, we see moreover that it is an open cover. Now, if there were to exist a finite subcover, say ##\{U_{k_1},...,U_{k_n} \}##, where ##k_1 \le ... \le k_n##, then ##X \subseteq \bigcup U_{k_i} = X - \bigcap C_{k_i} = X - \bigcap C_{k_i} = X - C_{k_n}##, implying that ##C_{k_n} = \emptyset##, which is a contradiction. Hence, there cannot be a finite subcover.How does this sound?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes that proof looks sound to me, and nicely intuitive too.

What does it mean for a space to be countably compact?

Countably compact is a topological property of a space in which every countable open cover has a finite subcover. In other words, if a space is countably compact, then every collection of open sets that covers the space can be reduced to a finite subcollection that still covers the space.

What is the difference between countably compact and compact?

The main difference between countably compact and compact is that compactness requires every open cover to have a finite subcover, while countable compactness only requires this for countable open covers. This means that every compact space is also countably compact, but the converse is not always true.

Is countably compactness a necessary condition for compactness?

Yes, countably compactness is a necessary condition for compactness. This means that if a space is compact, it must also be countably compact. However, there are examples of spaces that are countably compact but not compact, so countable compactness alone is not enough to guarantee compactness.

Does every metric space have the property of countably compactness?

No, not every metric space has the property of countably compactness. While all compact metric spaces are also countably compact, there are examples of non-compact metric spaces that are countably compact. This means that countable compactness is not a property that is solely determined by the metric of a space.

How is countably compactness related to other topological properties?

Countably compactness is related to several other topological properties, including Lindelöfness and sequential compactness. In fact, a space is countably compact if and only if it is both Lindelöf and sequentially compact. It is also a weaker property than compactness, meaning that every compact space is also countably compact, but the converse does not always hold.