1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove that N is a normal subgroup

1. Dec 1, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If H is any subgroup of G and [itex]N={\cap_{a\in G} a^{-1}Ha}[/itex], prove that N is a normal subgroup of G.

3. The attempt at a solution

Is this statement true? [itex]\forall n: n \in N \implies \exists h \in H : n=a^{-1}ha[/itex]
    The theorem looks intuitively true, but I don't know how to write a formal argument knowing that [itex]N={\cap_{a\in G} a^{-1}Ha}[/itex]

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2011 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

The statement you write is true. How would you find h?? Hint: rewrite the equation [itex]n=a^{-1}ha[/itex] to find an expression for h.

4. Dec 1, 2011 #3
    well, then is this argument valid?

first I should show that N is a subgroup of G, it means I should prove that for any a and b in N, ab-1 is also in N.

[itex]\forall p,b \in N: \forall a \in G, \exists h_1,h_2 \in H : p=a^{-1}h_1a , b=a^{-1}h_2a[/itex]
    [itex] pb^{-1}= a^{-1}h_1a(a^{-1}h_2a)^{-1}=a^{-1}h_1a(a)^{-1}h_2^{-1}(a^{-1})^{-1}=a^{-1}hh^{-1}a \implies \exists h_3 \in H, \forall a \in G: a^{-1}h_3a=pb^{-1}[/itex]
    hence, [itex]pb^{-1} \in N[/itex] and N is a subgroup of G.

If that argument is valid, how can I show that N is normal?

5. Dec 1, 2011 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Looks good.

Take p in N arbitrary and show that [itex]a^{-1}pa[/itex] is also in N.

6. Dec 1, 2011 #5

Deveno

Science Advisor

i think you're focusing too much on the h's. in the intersection it's the a's that serve as the index. and these range over every element of G. that's important.

so we are taking the intersection of H, aHa-1,bHb-1, etc.

now, suppose we have some fixed element of G, g.

as a ranges over the entire group G, doesn't ga as well?

that is, doesn't:

[tex]\bigcap_{a \in G} aHa^{-1} = \bigcap_{ga \in G} (ga)H(ga)^{-1}[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook