Prove that no such functions exist

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem where the goal is to prove that there do not exist functions f and g with a certain property. The conversation includes an attempt at a solution, which suggests that f and g are equal and that f is a linear function. However, the conclusion is that the problem cannot be proven because functions f(x)= g(x)= A- x, where A is any constant, do in fact satisfy the given property.
lordianed

Homework Statement

Prove that there do not exist functions ##f## and ##g## with the following property:
$$(\forall x)(\forall y)(f(x+y) = g(x) - y)$$

Homework Equations

NA

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is some information I have found out about ##f## and ##g## if we suppose they exist:
##f(x +0) = f(x) = g(x) = g(x)-0## for all x, so ##f## and ##g## are equal. Hence, ##f(x+y) = f(x) - y## for all ##x## and ##y##. Thus, ##f(y) = f(0) - y##, so ##f## is a linear function. Any suggestions as to what kind of values I have to substitute to arrive at a contradiction from here on? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
What you have done already is very good! The problem is that what you are trying to proven simply isn't true! Yes, setting y= 0 we have f(x)= g(x). And taking x= 0, f(y)= f(0)- y. Since f(0) is a constant, write f(x)= A- x where the number A is to be determined. You can't prove that such f and g don't exist because the functions, f(x)= g(x)= A- x, where A is any constant, do, in fact, satisfy f(x+ y)= A- x- y= g(x)- y= A- x- y.

Likes Dr. Courtney and lordianed
Oh dear, thank you so much for the help HallsofIvy, I had been struggling to prove this for so long, I am happy to have found PF so I could get this off my chest. I encountered this question from one of the older editions of Spivak, I had no idea of this error :oldbiggrin:

Attachments

• IMG_20151106_203942.jpg
    IMG_20151106_203942.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 399

What does it mean to "prove that no such functions exist"?

Proving that no such functions exist means to show that there are no mathematical functions that satisfy a given set of conditions or constraints.

Why is it important to prove that no such functions exist?

Proving that no such functions exist can help us understand the limitations of mathematical systems and can provide insights into the nature of certain mathematical concepts.

What methods are used to prove that no such functions exist?

Methods such as proof by contradiction, proof by induction, and proof by exhaustion are commonly used to show that no such functions exist.

Can you give an example of a problem where proving that no such functions exist is necessary?

An example would be proving that there is no function that can map every real number to its square root.

What are some common challenges in proving that no such functions exist?

Some common challenges include dealing with complex mathematical concepts, finding counterexamples, and constructing rigorous proofs that cover all possible cases.