Prove that ord(a) = ord(bab^(-1))

• Thread starter The_Iceflash
  • Start date
In summary, the first part of the homework statement is that ord(a) = ord(bab-1). The second part of the homework statement is that ord(a) = n. Part 1 of the homework statement can be completed by showing that ord(bab-1) = n. Part 2 of the homework statement can be completed by showing that ord(a) = n.
The_Iceflash
Prove that ord(a) = ord(bab^(-1)) (Edited/Fixed)

Homework Statement

Prove that ord(a) = ord(bab-1)

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

Part 1: Show that ord(bab-1) = n
Suppose that ord(a) = n
Then an = e.
I then have to use the associative law to show (bab-1)n = e but that's where I'm having troublem.

Part 2: Show that ord(a) = n
Suppose ord(bab-1) = e
Then (bab-1)n = e
I then have to use the associative law to show that an = e but I'm stuck there as well.

Help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I fixed the many typos I had.

Try writing out the multiplication:

[tex](bab^{-1})^n = (bab^{-1})(bab^{-1})\cdots (bab^{-1})[/tex] (product of n identical terms)

and simplifiy.

jbunniii said:
Try writing out the multiplication:

[tex](bab^{-1})^n = (bab^{-1})(bab^{-1})\cdots (bab^{-1})[/tex] (product of n identical terms)

and simplifiy.

So, doing that I get this:

[tex](bab^{-1})^n = (bab^{-1})(bab^{-1})\cdots (bab^{-1})[/tex] = [tex]ba^nb^{-1} = beb^{-1} = bb^{-1} = e[/tex]

Is that a valid thing to do?

On that thought, How would I show [tex]a^n = e[/tex] for part 2?

The_Iceflash said:
So, doing that I get this:

[tex](bab^{-1})^n = (bab^{-1})(bab^{-1})\cdots (bab^{-1})[/tex] = [tex]ba^nb^{-1} = beb^{-1} = bb^{-1} = e[/tex]

Is that a valid thing to do?

Yes, it's valid. So this shows that [itex](bab^{-1})^n = e[/itex]. It does NOT necessarily follow that [itex]o(bab^{-1}) = n[/itex], because there could be some smaller exponent [itex]k[/itex] such that [itex](bab^{-1})^k = e[/itex]. You have to do a little more work to prove that this can't happen.

On that thought, How would I show [tex]a^n = e[/tex] for part 2?

I'm not sure why you think this is a two-part proof. You want to prove that

[tex]o(a) = o(bab^{-1})[/tex]

So let [itex]n = o(a)[/itex], and then prove that [itex]o(bab^{-1}) = n[/itex] and you're done.

jbunniii said:
Yes, it's valid. So this shows that [itex](bab^{-1})^n = e[/itex]. It does NOT necessarily follow that [itex]o(bab^{-1}) = n[/itex], because there could be some smaller exponent [itex]k[/itex] such that [itex](bab^{-1})^k = e[/itex]. You have to do a little more work to prove that this can't happen.

Ok.

I'm not sure why you think this is a two-part proof. You want to prove that

[tex]o(a) = o(bab^{-1})[/tex]

So let [itex]n = o(a)[/itex], and then prove that [itex]o(bab^{-1}) = n[/itex] and you're done.

That's how my professor outlined the proof for me. They broke it up into two parts. The conclusion that is to come out of that as well is that doing both parts will prove that both orders are either infinite or both finite and equal. I believe that's why they want it broken up into two parts.

The_Iceflash said:
That's how my professor outlined the proof for me. They broke it up into two parts. The conclusion that is to come out of that as well is that doing both parts will prove that both orders are either infinite or both finite and equal. I believe that's why they want it broken up into two parts.

I'm not sure I understand the prof's rationale. Structuring the proof as

"Part 1: show that [itex]o(bab^{-1}) = n[/itex]
Part 2: show that [itex]o(a) = n[/itex]"

begs the question: what is [itex]n[/itex]? I don't see how this helps address the finite vs. infinite cases. More natural would seem:

"Part 1: Suppose that [itex]o(a) = n < \infty[/itex]. Show that [itex]o(bab^{-1}) = n[/itex]
Part 2: Suppose that [itex]o(a) = \infty[/itex]. Show that [itex]o(bab^{-1}) = \infty[/itex]"

1. What does the notation ord(a) mean in this context?

Ord(a) refers to the order of element a in a group, which is the smallest positive integer n such that a^n = e, where e is the identity element of the group.

2. How can we prove that ord(a) = ord(bab^(-1))?

One way to prove this is by showing that the elements a and bab^(-1) have the same order, which can be done by showing that (bab^(-1))^n = e if and only if a^n = e.

3. Can you provide an example of how this proof would work?

Sure, let's consider the group of integers modulo 6 under addition. If we take a = 2 and b = 3, then ord(2) = 3 since 2^3 = 6 ≡ 0 (mod 6). Similarly, bab^(-1) = 2 + 3 + (-3) = 2, so ord(bab^(-1)) = 3 as well.

4. Is this statement true for all groups?

No, this statement is not necessarily true for all groups. It depends on the specific group and the elements a and b chosen.

5. Are there any other ways to prove this statement?

Yes, there are other ways to prove this statement. For example, it can also be proven by showing that the orders of the cyclic subgroups generated by a and bab^(-1) are equal.