1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove that T and T^m are simultaneously diagonalizable.

1. Feb 4, 2012 #1
    Question: Let T be a diagonalizable linear operator on a finite-dimensional vector space, and let m be any positive integer. Prove that T and T^m are simultaneously diagonalizable.

Definition: Two linear operators T and U are finite-dimensional vector space V are called simultaneously diagonalizable if there exists an ordered basis B for V such that both [T]B and B are diagonal matrices. Similarly, A and B are called simultaneously diagonalizable if there exists and invertible matrix Q such that Q-1AQ and Q-1BQ are diagonal matrices.

Attempt at a solution: If T is a linear operator then there is a basis B for V such that [T]B = A is a matrix representation of T. Now, T is diagonalizable and therefore there is a invertible matrix Q such that C = Q-1AQ is a diagonal matrix. Recall that A = QCQ-1 and A^m = QC^m Q-1 = B which is a diagonal matrix. So, A*A^m = AB = (QCQ-1)(QC^m Q-1) = QC(Q-1 Q)C^m Q-1 = QC C^m Q-1) = QC^m CQ-1 [since diagonal matrices commute] = QC^m Q-1 QCQ-1 = (QC^m Q-1)( QCQ-1) = A^m A = BA. Therefore T and T^m commute and are simultaneously diagonalizable.

I think I am missing something.

Any suggestions?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2012 #2

Deveno

Science Advisor

question: why do you care if T and Tm commute? (i mean, they obviously do, but how is that relevant)?

if T is diagonalizable, then for any basis B, if [T]B = A, there is some invertible matrix P

(why?) so that:

P-1AP = D, where D is diagonal. furthermore Dm is diagonal with:

Dm = P-1AmP.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook